Why become a member? ×

Finger/Fretboard = Gaboon Ebony or Pau ferro

BIG.J

Hi, I am having a custom headless neck built in the states?

I have decided on a Curly Maple Neck Back, After sending all my requirements i now have a choice of fingerboard!

Gaboon Ebony or Pau ferro?

I would be greatfull for any advise on which would be a better option?

I play various styles but like a spot of slap bass!

Forgot to mention, The fret inlays will look like the Alembic oval style.

It will also have a 6 x Variable coloured LED system installed.

Many Thanks

Justin.

I have added a few pics of the body? :)

Edited by xverminate

[quote name='xverminate' post='304358' date='Oct 11 2008, 12:06 PM']Hi, I am having a custom headless neck built in the states?

I have decided on a Curly Maple Neck Back, After sending all my requirements i now have a choice of fingerboard!

Gaboon Ebony or Pau ferro?

I would be greatfull for any advise on which would be a better option?

I play various styles but like a spot of slap bass!

Many Thanks

Justin.

I have added a few pics of the body? :)[/quote]

I would go for ebony providing it is top quality and jet black.....it will last a life time and need very little maintenance.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='304361' date='Oct 11 2008, 12:16 PM']I would go for ebony providing it is top quality and jet black.....it will last a life time and need very little maintenance.[/quote]

Many Thanks for that Paul, He States that the Gaboon Ebony is plain black in colour?

He will send me some pics when he has the chance.

Cheers

Justin.

Edited by xverminate

If you ask Ed Roman, the Gaboon Ebony is [url="http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/gaboon.htm"]the real deal[/url], but the Pau Ferro is [url="http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/morado.htm"]OK but overpriced[/url].

Edited by bnt

[quote name='bnt' post='304411' date='Oct 11 2008, 02:54 PM']If you ask Ed Roman, the Gaboon Ebony is [url="http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/gaboon.htm"]the real deal[/url], but the Pau Ferro is [url="http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/morado.htm"]OK but overpriced[/url].[/quote]

Thanks,

I have already agreed a price so i just need to choose the fingerboard.

There will be no extra charge for whichever i choose to use.

Justin. :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='304433' date='Oct 11 2008, 03:47 PM']Personally i think ebony boards look brilliant on the right bass, but if you're making a fretted i think pau ferro would look pretty nice on that one, it has a nice grain/colour. If you're having a fretless though, ebony all the way.[/quote]

Many Thanks once again,

Forgot to mention, The fret inlays will look like the Alembic oval style.

It will also have a 6 x Variable coloured LED system installed! :)

Cheers

Justin.

Edited by xverminate

Both make fantastic fretboards imo. In fact, my Jazz has a Pao Ferro, and it very nice, quite a soft wood. Where as the Ebony is rock solid. Though, I recently played a fantastic fretless at a guitar shop in Leeds, I didn't reconise the name of the bass, but boy was it nice. I think it had a Pao Ferro neck and fretboard. And normally I dislike basses with the same wood for both neck and fretboard, but this was lovely.