Why become a member? ×

What did this start life as?

Guest MoJo

Wondered if anyone could shed any light on the origins of 'Woody' here. Note how it has a spoke-type truss rod adjuster and how the pick guard doesn't quite follow the contours of the lower horn.
I was wondering what it started life as

[attachment=230945:what_wood_is_this.JPG]

I'd say (based on what little I can see) it might be an Italian-made Melody, probably mid 70s.

Some pics [url="http://www.fetishguitars.com/castelfidardo-recanati/melody/melody-solidbodies/"]halfway down this page[/url].

If it has a 3-piece neck & the same skinny neckplate then that's an ID as far as I can tell.

The same truss adjusters were used on East German-built Musima P copies from the early 80s, but these tended to have nasty ply bodies.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1477659137' post='3163650']
I'd say (based on what little I can see) it might be an Italian-made Melody, probably mid 70s.

Some pics [url="http://www.fetishguitars.com/castelfidardo-recanati/melody/melody-solidbodies/"]halfway down this page[/url].

If it has a 3-piece neck & the same skinny neckplate then that's an ID as far as I can tell.

The same truss adjusters were used on East German-built Musima P copies from the early 80s, but these tended to have nasty ply bodies.
[/quote]

It looks very similar Jon, even down to the missing dot marker at the 19th fret. I'm always amazed by your encyclopedic knowledge

Neck does appear to be three piece. Any idea what it might be worth Jon (other than being useful to start a bonfire) ?

[attachment=230952:woody2.JPG]

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1477660389' post='3163672']
Any idea what it might be worth Jon (other than being useful to start a bonfire) ?
[/quote]

In fairness, like most 70s copies its value is more curiosity than monetary! There are collectors of old Italian guitars but I suspect (like with MIJ stuff) there's more interest in original condition, branded instruments.

These aren't common enough for there to be a recognisable resale value, but I always look at things from the perspective of what I'd hope to get for one if selling it - and I'd say probably anything between £100 & £150 would be a result. That said, I am a bit out of the loop these days!

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1477829622' post='3164648']
In fairness, like most 70s copies its value is more curiosity than monetary! There are collectors of old Italian guitars but I suspect (like with MIJ stuff) there's more interest in original condition, branded instruments.

These aren't common enough for there to be a recognisable resale value, but I always look at things from the perspective of what I'd hope to get for one if selling it - and I'd say probably anything between £100 & £150 would be a result. That said, I am a bit out of the loop these days!
[/quote]

He's asking £150 for it. He's reduced it from £175 previously so make accept a lower offer. If it is a solid ash body, it might be worth turning it into a playable, gig-machine (assuming the neck's straight and the truss rod works). Going to view it this afternoon. I'll report back once I've checked it out. First thing I'm going to do is flip it over and see if it has got that narrow neck plate. Thanks for your help, as always

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1477829622' post='3164648']

[/quote]

Jon, you are a genius. It is (was) a Melody. I turned it over and there was the narrow neck plate. Unfortunately there were too many issues to make it a viable prospect, particularly at the £150 asking price. Pickups were not original, neither were the gold tuners, but these were the least of my concerns. The neck was splitting at both ends, one split from a tuning post to the end of the headstock, the other from one of the neck screws. The two piece ash body was starting to split at the bridge end. All repairable and had it been a 1970's Fender, it would probably been worth it. The neck pocket was standard Fender size and the neck was the thickest, chunkiest neck I've ever handled. Had it been £50, I may have been tempted for the body alone