Why become a member? ×

Power Amp + Cab combination for use with VT Bass preamp pedal

dannybuoy

Hi there, I'm a long-time lurker of the FX forum, but now I seek some advice from you amp-heads...

I've recently got hold of a VT Bass pedal which I'm using as a preamp. I don't have an amp at the moment, but would like to use this as my primary tone shaper, either plugging into the fx return of a combo amp (to bypass the onboard preamp) or going into a power amp and cab.

I'm on a very tight budget and like the idea of separates so was thinking of going with the latter. I'd like it to be cheap, lightweight able to cope with small/medium gigs, and possibly have a wide enough freq response to be used with guitar also. So I was thinking of maybe a 1x15" cab with an adjustable tweeter, and a cheapo power amp like this:

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/juice-800/68590"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/juice-800/68590[/url]

Would this be suitable?

There's loads of cabs out there but it's hard making a choice. I've seen the Bergantino, Tech, Zoot, etc cabs but they all seem above my price range!

I'd like to spend under £400 on both the amp and cab together (2nd hand if possible), any ideas or advice for me? What's the best bang for my buck?

Hello,

I hate to be the first reply and then plug my sale(!), but my EBS 15" would fit the bill.

[post="0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27601[/post]

It's not super lightweight but easily coped with small to medium gigs. It's got an adjustable tweeter and will handle 400W. Nice and smooth sound, too.

Oh, it's really cheap as it's got a small hole in the speaker that doesn't affect it in any way except cosmetically.
Either way, youll get lots of advice.

Adrian

Just to add a plug for above reply- a small hole in spkr is an EASY fix & will sound as good as new for MANY yrs. Just use some flexible glue-rubber glue- & glue some panty-hose (for example) on either side of tear/hole for strength. I did it like so to my EV(400w 15") & has been fine for 10 yrs.

I've just spotted the Ashdown Little Giant 350W head for £200 new...

I'll do a bit more research first, but I might go with this unless I find a better option. I like the fact that I can sling this into the pocket of my gig bag as it only weighs 3kg, and it has line-in and an fx loop in case I want to try bypassing the pre-amp and using the VT Bass instead. Basically it's a poor man's Mark Bass! Then I can look for a cheapo cab from ebay or here and upgrade to a nicer one later on when I can afford something better.

Sound like a plan? I hope these heads aren't rubbish, off I go to search for some reviews...

Edited by dannybuoy

I've gone in a slightly different direction, nabbing a Euphonic Audio iAmp 350 combo. This is a very hi-fi combo that would work well with bass or guitar, and is more like a transparent studio monitor than your typical amp - what you put in is what you get out. It can also power a separate cab for bigger gigs. The VT Bass is supposed to mimic a mic'ed up Ampeg rig and sounds great for recording or going direct - with this I should be able to recreate that tone in the practice room and on stage!