Why become a member? ×

Anybody here bought this? John Birch 8-string doer-upper!!!

tony_m

• 2 months later...

Remember the rescued John Birch 8 string? Well this is how it looks now. The original wiring is a write off but the pickups sound great and though I'm awaiting a shortscale 8 string set (I'll get them custom made from Newtone ). It plays, looks and sounds great! Thank you Paul Neild at Retro169 for the nitro refinish. At some point I'll put a restoration thread. Happy Christmas!

Hiya - no there isn't a serial number my other JB basses have had this hand engraved (rather roughly) on the bridge where the strings anchor but there is nothing on this. The pickups are signed/engraved by John Birch. Many custom basses were not given numbers as they were true 'one-offs' I think this is such a beast. It's now strung with 8 string and plays well, as good if not better than my old Shergold 8er - thanks to the shortscale - intonation is'nt the best at the higher end and will need work. I'm using an old Shergold Newtone set with Ernie Ball guitar strings for the octaves. I'll get a custom 8 set from Neil at Newtone who make strings for my Shergold Marathon 6.