Why become a member? ×

Credit Crunch, recession - what will it mean for us?

KevB

I've found that my covers band's getting more bookings than ever...we're a dirt-cheap pub rock covers band who do 3-4hrs for a small fee, and we always get the Newbury live music crowd into whichever place we playing, and they drink the place dry.

There's practically NUTHIN to do in Newbs, and altho we're far from the tightest band in town, we do always manage to give everyone a good evening. I think we're seen as a sure-fire way to get 60-100 (dep on venue) punters in, drinking and spending money, so it's pretty good business sense in that aspect.

On the flip side, the Originals band is a risky venture, cos we can't promise to fill a pub...so I can see why they don't wanna fork over some readies for us to play at an empty venue.

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='303551' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:34 AM']I've found that my covers band's getting more bookings than ever...we're a dirt-cheap pub rock covers band who do 3-4hrs for a small fee, and we always get the Newbury live music crowd into whichever place we playing, and they drink the place dry.

There's practically NUTHIN to do in Newbs, and altho we're far from the tightest band in town, we do always manage to give everyone a good evening. I think we're seen as a sure-fire way to get 60-100 (dep on venue) punters in, drinking and spending money, so it's pretty good business sense in that aspect.

On the flip side, the Originals band is a risky venture, cos we can't promise to fill a pub...so I can see why they don't wanna fork over some readies for us to play at an empty venue.[/quote]

That's not changed .. fill a pub with a good show, get booked back; play originals (with that normal attitude originals bands seem to have), draw 20 people, no booked back...
It's always been better to book a covers band if you want to sell beer and stay in business, even more so right now ..

Edited by OldGit

Went to an open mic last night. First thing I realised was that being an old codger I had no idea if some of the bright new acoustic sets I saw were playing originals or not, maybe it was something from Newton Faulkner's albums but I wouldn't know ;-)

More worrying was most of the audience were the performers and their supporters or people like me considering doing the open mic in future (need to practise heaps, I'm way too campfire folk).

I think there's a similar situation to football. Everyone agrees there's more action, skill and goals in second division games but when it comes to Monday morning everyone at work is talking about the premiership. Me I like small venues but for many ordinary joes music has to be a big name big deal to get them out the house. Maybe crazy stadium ticket prices and less disposable income will change that...

Some pubs have zero business sense though!

A pub in west London that my covers band used to play at a lot, has just started cutting back on their band nights, canceling bookings they made a year ago. Now bearing in mind this pub, and it is just a pub, charges £5 a head to go in on a Friday and Saturday night, so now people are paying a fiver to go in....with no band. Now forgive me if this seems obvious, but why not keep the band, wipe the door charge so that people think "oh i haven't got much money tonight, i'll go to that free entrance bar with the cool bands and spend what I have on drinks". It's quite often empty now, with less music....they still charge a fiver!

Si

My cover band plays pubs in the London suburbs and home counties and we've had 8 pubs stop live music since the summer. Last year the band had at least 2 gigs a week, every week, now 4 or 5 a month is tops. They call every gig the week before and lately have had several replies of, "oh we don't have music any more"!!
With the economy going bad, the high cost of everything, being stealth taxed up to your eyeballs and redundancies all around how can anyone with a family/house/car do anything at the moment but hibernate.

Our gig tonight has been cancelled because the landlord hasn't paid (or can't afford to pay) his electricity bill and had his power cut off yesterday :huh:

A sign of the times I'm sure, and he'll no doubt be oofed out by the brewery soon - that will mean another venue down the pan.

[quote name='OldGit' post='303573' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:12 AM']That's not changed .. fill a pub with a good show, get booked back; play originals (with that normal attitude originals bands seem to have), draw 20 people, no booked back...
It's always been better to book a covers band if you want to sell beer and stay in business, even more so right now ..[/quote]

We play originals and so far have been booked back at our gigs :)
The gigs are getting fewer and fewer though because of venues shutting.
Perhaps you have a point :huh:

Pete.