Why become a member? ×

Best jazz pups for my Corvette Std (bubinga body, wenge neck)

dyerseve

Hi All,

Looking for some advice please:

I have just picked up a rather lovely '97 German built Warwick Corvette Std. It has a bubinga body and a wenge neck and fretboard. It is passive with two MEC Dynamic Correction pups.

I understand that the Dynamic Correction MECs are not thought of very highly so would like some advice on what you think the best pups will be to get the best out of my vette.

I love the feel, balance and playability of the bass. I quite like the tone I am already getting but the warwick growl is not really there.

My budget is £100 and happy to buy secondhand to get best bang for buck.

cheers,

Chris

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1473693648' post='3132324']
What don't you like about the MEC's? I've not heard people being against them before - I've only heard unhappy rumours about the soapbar that came in the passive Streamer at the time.
[/quote]

they are the cheap Dynamic Compression ones - not the decent MECs that you find in other Warwicks. The tone isnt terrible but there isnt enough bite for my liking

[quote name='Salotti' timestamp='1473689406' post='3132265']
I would try EMG or Bartolini. I tried the same with my stage 2 (putting on EMG) and the sound get a lot better.
Bartlini will sound something "darker" than EMG

Cheers
[/quote]

thanks, dont want dark tone so EMG sound like a good choice. Any particular model i should be looking at?

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1473803996' post='3133335']
Well I just managed to pickup a second-hand pair of dimarzios from eBay for £50 so will give them a try. If it doesn't work out or show potential for other pups I may just move the bass on.
[/quote]
Bingo!!
I've got some in an Ibanez, They're really good IMHO.

If you still don't like the bass, PM me, please!

[quote name='margusalviste' timestamp='1473889452' post='3133983']
Depends on your taste, of course! I personally tried Dimarzios vs Fender Custom Shop vs SD Antiquity II vs Lollar and sold Dimarzios. The other pickups found places on my different jazz basses.
[/quote]

Interesting. What didn't you like about the Dimarzio sound over the others?

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1473924657' post='3134092']
The ones I won on ebay appear to be Model J DP123's if that's any help?

[url="https://www.gak.co.uk/en/dimarzio-dp123-model-j-black/97011?gclid=CMGwkOnskM8CFTIo0wodG30L7Q"]https://www.gak.co.u...CFTIo0wodG30L7Q[/url]

looks like I got them at a decent price if they are +£100 new.
[/quote]

Aa, these are warmer but perhaps do not have those snappy highs. :) But the price you paid is very good!

Now got the pups and notice there are four wires from each. I take it that means that can be wired in with a DPDT switch for series/parallel operation?
That would provide loads of flexibility of so...

Edited by dyerseve