Why become a member? ×

MIA Fender Jazz wiring problem

CPBass

Hi folks,

Im looking for some advice. My Fender Jazz (99) sounds fab, however, when the neck pickup is selected the volume pot does not totally kill the sound when turned down. She doesnt remain at full volume but dips until about half way then stays constant with about 50% of the vol pot left to rotate.

The bridge works as it should, not being the most electronically minded person your ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Col

[quote name='neilb' post='299194' date='Oct 4 2008, 10:52 AM']Have the pots been changed or are they original?

I think you need linear pots not log types.[/quote]

Hi Neil,

As far as I'm aware they are original pots but I have not long aquired her. A change of pots may be on the cards you reckon?

C

The wiring looks OK. The white wire from each pick-up should go to the centre tap of their respective volume pots.

Could well be a pot problem. You could try checking them with a multimeter. BTW the pots should be audio taper (A) or logarithmic (LOG), not linear.

[quote name='obbm' post='299224' date='Oct 4 2008, 11:27 AM']The wiring looks OK. The white wire from each pick-up should go to the centre tap of their respective volume pots.

Could well be a pot problem. You could try checking them with a multimeter. BTW the pots should be audio taper (A) or logarithmic (LOG), not linear.[/quote]

Thanks for your help mate, much obliged.

I'll check out some new pots.

Thanks

Col

The pick-ups are wired to the centre terminal (slider) so that when the pot is turned right down the output from the pick-up is connected to ground, so there should be no output. If it is not doing this then there will be some unwanted bleed-through.

[quote name='obbm' post='299240' date='Oct 4 2008, 11:41 AM']The pick-ups are wired to the centre terminal (slider) so that when the pot is turned right down the output from the pick-up is connected to ground, so there should be no output. If it is not doing this then there will be some unwanted bleed-through.[/quote]

Thanks,
Ive just ordered new pots for the bass, hopefully that will solve the problem.

Many thanks

C

[quote name='obbm' post='299224' date='Oct 4 2008, 11:27 AM']The wiring looks OK. The white wire from each pick-up should go to the centre tap of their respective volume pots.

Could well be a pot problem. You could try checking them with a multimeter. BTW the pots should be audio taper (A) or logarithmic (LOG), not linear.[/quote]

oops, got it the wrong way round.Sorry

[quote name='NickThomas' post='300855' date='Oct 6 2008, 10:01 PM']Please poke me in the eye if this sounds silly of me , but the controls are vol vol tone as opposed to vol pan tone right?[/quote]

No eye poking required mate. The controls are Vol Pan Tone.

C