Why become a member? ×

Pre-modelling amp simulation?

operative451

Hi!
So, i'm mucking about with old kit. I'm actually getting some not-bad sounds out of my elderly Zoom 506 and as it pre-dates the POD et al, i came to wondering how it works. it's got some alleged 'Amp tones' where the drive section would be in a 505, but what actually are they? How did manufacturers do 'not modelled' amp tones? Is it like, a bit of drive, EQ and compression or something else?

The clean sounds are ok, the drive is nasty though and the fuzz... Actually sounds kind of like a 'bitcrusher' type of effect! I've been mainly fiddling with it in a 'do i need a proper compressor' sort of way. and the tuner is handy...

I've got a Zoom 506II which is a great bit of kit, in some ways I prefer it to my Zoom B1 on, which has taken over from it, I use the EG distortion which isn't spikey fuzz with maximum gain then EQ it to suit, EQ 0n 6, contour on 0, have the compression on C9 but I don't thing that does a lot with using the distortion, It's gets me into JJ Burnel territory, sort of.
Just remembered there's a bassist in a local mod band who wouldn't use anything else, he gets a good sound too.
IMO all amp sims are just distortion and EQing with presets

Edited by PaulWarning

Mainly eqing but with a mild colouration towards its particular flavour. .. in fact not always mild.

Bare in mind an amp sim pedal almost always has other highly useful functions in it ( di/ multi channels/ gain/ speaker out / ground lft/ tuner out etc) making it a bit of a work horse. In my experience anyway.

Funny though... I have a zoom506. .. my first bass pedal...I actually think the fuzz is quite cool!