Why become a member? ×

Can anyone repair Fender Rumble v3's

Guest MoJo

Is there anyone else other than Fender that can undertake the repair of the Rumble v3's yet. Mine needs attention and may require a board replacing

I don't know the Rumble, but quite alot of modern builds are modular and IC based, so only someone with access to the relevant modules (i.e. the officially approved repairers) can do much.
Have you tried a local amp repair type?

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1470142804' post='3103543']
I don't know the Rumble, but quite alot of modern builds are modular and IC based, so only someone with access to the relevant modules (i.e. the officially approved repairers) can do much.
Have you tried a local amp repair type?
[/quote]

I have. They won't touch it. One even joked that the "D" in Class D stood for 'Don't want to know'

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1470206643' post='3104001']
Assume it's out of warranty. Is it a failure or something you've done to it?
[/quote]

I bought it second hand, so it's well out of warranty. After a number of gigs, it started, sporadically, to emit a noise not unlike bacon frying. It still functions perfectly and I have continued to gig with it. It is not so loud as to be an embarrassment, but is loud enough to be 1) annoying and 2) have my band mates comment "Mojo's got the bacon on again". It also emits a noticable 'pop' through the speaker when I power down. Turning the input level and/or the master volume makes no difference, the noise remains constant.

Edited by MoJo

Interesting! Mine makes a slight crackle (like a noisy pot) when adjusting the volume if I'm playing at the same time but it's pretty silent the rest of the time apart from the fan. I have the same setup as you and I don't get the pop either. Did you try the 'contact cleaner on a jack plug in the effects loop' trick?

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1470293493' post='3104751']
Interesting! Mine makes a slight crackle (like a noisy pot) when adjusting the volume if I'm playing at the same time but it's pretty silent the rest of the time apart from the fan. I have the same setup as you and I don't get the pop either. Did you try the 'contact cleaner on a jack plug in the effects loop' trick?
[/quote]

I did that and also put a patch cable between the send and return sockets and the noise stopped. Thinking I'd cured it, I was as happy as Larry, until the noise returned a few gigs later. The patch cable was still in at the time, so I tried more contact cleaner on the patch cable plugs and inserted them a few times. The noise remained. At the last gig, it was silent, but still popped when I turned it off :(

Edited by MoJo