Why become a member? ×

EV DL15X driver... Any good for a bass cab?

xgsjx

Rummaging through my dad's shed, I found a boxed (& unused) EV DL15X driver. Going by the code, I think it was made in November 1996.
So as I'm without bass rig & started playing again, I'm wondering if this driver would be any good to design a bass cab around (thinking about getting BFM plans)? It does say "Low Frequency Producer" on the magnet. B)

It won't go as loud down low as a driver with more xmax. The difference between a small vented cab and the Jack would lie in the midbass and low mids, where the horn of the Jack greatly increases sensitivity. If you want to get a lot more output down low you'd have to go to a longer xmax driver. A 3012HO, for instance, would have 6dB more output down low, the equivalent of two EVM. If it was me I'd sell the EVM, they do bring a good price from guitar players.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='vailbass' timestamp='1470537016' post='3106597']
yes! that's a great speaker, I use the 15BX's and love them. If you like a snappy high end, you might want a tweeter but it's a great all around speaker for sure
[/quote]
I'm a flatwound player. I like my bass bassy. B)