Why become a member? ×

Stock or SPB-1 Pickup?

zvirus

Hi,

Not sure if this is right place...

Got my SPB-1 installed today and I`m bit confused because stock pickup sounds better to me... :unsure:
Just wonder what do You think?

Forgive my my sloppy playing..

Fender Mexico 2012, La Bella 1954, Direct Sound - No EQ no Compression.

https://soundcloud.com/zvirus/mexican-pickup-vs-duncan-spb-1

Cheers,
Tomas

I think the pickup you're most happy with is the right choice. :)

The stock pickup does sound more lush in the sound clip. But I think the SPB-1 would be more useful in a mix as it has some mid-shenanigans going on and is more 'classic P Bass' to my ears. It would sit very nicely with the kick drum and you would be heard. So you need to try the SPB-1 in a band (or recording) situation. If you're in a band, that is.

Edited by discreet

Hi,

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1467754625' post='3086017']
I'm struggling to hear any difference.... Are both clips there?
[/quote]

Yes, I can hear on my "studio" headphones that SPB-1 sounds thinner. Stock pickup got more lows... unfortunately.

Edited by zvirus

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467754706' post='3086018']
I think the pickup you're most happy with is the right choice. :)

The stock pickup does sound more lush in the sound clip. But I think the SPB-1 would be more useful in a mix as it has some mid-shenanigans going on and is more 'classic P Bass' to my ears. It would sit very nicely with the kick drum and you would be heard. So you need to try the SPB-1 in a band (or recording) situation. If you're in a band, that is.
[/quote]

Thanks!
After all I can turn up a bit lows on my amp... ;)

[quote name='zvirus' timestamp='1467754773' post='3086020']
I can hear on my "studio" headphones that SPB-1 sounds thinner. Stock pickup got more lows... unfortunately.
[/quote]
[quote name='zvirus' timestamp='1467754988' post='3086021']
After all I can turn up a bit lows on my amp... ;)
[/quote]

Well, I had a custom bass for which I specified an SPB-1 and I did a fair number of gigs with it - sounded great turned up loud and locked in with a decent drummer. I got lots of compliments on my sound too. So it can't be that bad. You don't want a load of low end swooshing around on stage anyway - it's highly overrated. ;)

The SPB3 also sounds weird to a lot of people (including me) but it sits very nicely in a mix, try both pickups in a band setting or with drum loops and make your decision that way, it can be difficult to figure out precision pickups by themselves.