Why become a member? ×

Trace Pre-Shape question

Deedee

I don't sorry. If I remember correctly, pre shape 2 is less of a mid cut than pre shape 1, but more of boost of the bass and lower mid frequencies and not much of a treble boost.

Basically,just boost around 100hz -600hz and leave everything else at level (no boost/no cut).

I never liked pre shape 2. I would just use pre shape 1 and add some mids back.

Thanks for the response.

The reason for the question was that I was going to tackle it it the other way around I.e. Start with preshape 2 and then tweak that instead of tweaking preshape 1. Preshape 2 has always been a go to if you are struggling to cut through (it sounds crap on its own but will be heard through anything).

This has only been brought on by one of those rehearsals/gigs that we all have from time to time where you set up as you always do but you just can't get the right sound. I used to use preshape 2 all the time, just using the EQ balance on my SMX amp to brighten where required. Since then I've moved on to just using the graphic or a mix of the graphic and preshape 1. It was this setting that just wasn't working the other night.

Anyway, played a set last night at a gig with loads of other bands on. Listened to several other bassists playing various amp/cab combinations and they all sounded muddy or lost in the mix to me. So I set up just with the graphic (preshapes off) going through my BF Super 12 and it sounded awesome. Great comments from loads of people afterwards about how it was the best bass sound of the day. I even let the guy on after me use my rig, which he did and he didn't touch a thing on the settings.

So, in a long winded way I'm saying that I think I'm now back on track with my sound after a midweek wobble!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='vailbass' timestamp='1470538584' post='3106600']
the classic 'smiley face' graphic EQ. I never use that sort of EQ, as all the mids just disappear and those are what's important when it comes to hearing the note value of the bass in a live situation.
[/quote]

The smiley face is Pre-Shape 1. Pre-Shape 2 is a different sound altogether with none of 'scoop'.