Why become a member? ×

***SOLD***Fender FSR Japan Classic ‘60s Lacquer P Bass (2015) - Top MIJ spec - Lightweight (3.7kg)***SOLD***
£780

eddiehoffmann

[font=Arial]Hey guys,[/font]

[color=#232323][font=Arial][color=#000000]For sale only here I have my mint [/color][b]Fender FSR Japan Classic ‘60s Lacquer P Bass[/b], previously a non-export Japanese made 60’s re-issue known as the [b]VSP Series[/b], the top of the MIJ range, they were rebranded as Fender FSR Japan Classic ‘60s Lacquer to be exported officially for the first time. As you know, the Japanese Fenders are really well regarded and considered up there with some of the best USA stuff. These FSR Lacquer models were the top of the range of the Japanese made Fenders and it shows when you pick it up and play it. [size=5][b]Real lightweight[/b] [b]alder body (THE BASS WEIGHTS ONLY3.7kg), very thin lacquer finish, same hardware as the American Vintage basses, Fender Japan premium pickups (different from the ones on cheaper Japanese basses, they sound great), proper vintage spec pots (CTS) and caps[/b].[/size] These are basically Made in Japan versions of the American Vintage range without the ashtrays and without the price tag. These basses were retailing for £930 new and that’s how much I payed for it. Please see link for full spec and professional photos: [url="http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/fender_japan_fsr_special_60s_p_bass_rw_vw.asp?gclid=CjwKEAjwsr-6BRCLvrj785rbhTsSJADjUxakxQnvPOk3hlAT_BguMiMqpbVC1BH5oNFPtGZhjAMKGBoCOFHw_wcB"]http://www.richtonem...AMKGBoCOFHw_wcB[/url][/font][/color]

[color=#232323][font=Arial]You might not know, but Fender Japan no longer makes any instruments and these were the last run out of the Dyna Gakki factory making them somehow collectible in the future too, I believe. The build quality is outstanding! And this is coming from someone who always played American Fenders, including Custom Shop, in the past. [/font][/color]

[color=#232323][font=Arial]I always wanted one of these basses, but last year I went a bit over the top and bought two of them with the idea of having two identical instruments, one with flats and one with roundwounds. Sounds great on paper, but in reality I only ever use the one strung with flats (D’Addario Chomes) and that’s versatile enough for me. This bass was bought in November 2015, set up with D'Addario Prosteels (.45) and only ever used once for a recording session in March 2016. I used it in one of the tracks and you can hear the results here: [url="https://soundcloud.com/lowlyhounds/3-what-fools-will-do-master/s-aNllK?in=lowlyhounds/sets/lowly-hounds-stompin-ground/s-Oddq3"]https://soundcloud.c...-ground/s-Oddq3[/url][/font][/color]
[color=#232323][font=Arial]Produced by Mick Quinn former Supergrass and I ended up using his Ibanez Blazer in another track too. Happy Days :D [/font][/color]

[color=#232323][font=Arial]Please check the pictures and see by yourself how stunning this bass is. Only one tiny bit of lacquer around the neck pocket came off while taking the neck out to set it up. It’s really superficial and tiny as you can see in the picture in relation to the size of the pickguard screw. Apart from that, not a scratch or mark whatsoever and [b]AS NEW![/b][/font][/color]

[color=#232323][font=Arial][b]No trades[/b] as this is strictly a ‘need a new car all of a sudden’ kind of sale. [size=5][b]I’m based in Central London (near Vauxhall / Battersea) and trials are welcome. [/b][/size]The bass comes with an original Fender gig bag. Really good one and well padded too, not like the usual Fender gig bags you see with some MIM or even some of the cheaper MIA.[/font][/color]

[size=5][color=#232323][font=Arial][b]Price is £600 collected or meet up within reasonable distance from me. Courier is an option but I would I prefer to avoid it if possible. [/b][/font][/color][/size]

[color=#232323][font=Arial]Any questions shoot away! [/font][/color]

[color=#232323][font=Arial]Cheers,[/font][/color]

[color=#232323][font=Arial]Eddie[/font][/color]

[color=#232323][font=Arial][color=#222222][attachment=220521:Photo 02-06-2016, 11 24 16.jpg][/color][/font][/color]

[color=#232323][font=Arial][color=#222222][attachment=220522:Photo 12-03-2016, 13 49 30.jpg][/color][/font][/color]

[color=#232323][font=Arial][color=#222222][attachment=220523:Photo 02-06-2016, 11 20 20.jpg][/color][/font][/color]

[attachment=220528:Photo 02-06-2016, 11 20 20.jpg]

[color=#232323][font=Arial][color=#222222][attachment=220524:Photo 02-06-2016, 11 21 38.jpg][/color][/font][/color]

[color=#232323][font=Arial][color=#222222][attachment=220525:Photo 02-06-2016, 11 18 51.jpg][/color][/font][/color]

[color=#232323][font=Arial][color=#222222][attachment=220526:Photo 02-06-2016, 11 18 41.jpg][/color][/font][/color]

[attachment=220527:Photo 02-06-2016, 11 19 25.jpg]

Edited by eddiehoffmann

[quote name='thanku' timestamp='1464949127' post='3063996']
Great bass dude ! I used to had one of this series, it's lacquer finish, but not Nitro :)
[/quote]

Ah... Sorry, I was told in the shop it was nitro. I'm clearly confusing two things here. The other one (with flats) which I've been using a lot since last year it's already showing signs of ageing on its finish and even the Olympic White colour is already going a bit yellow in some areas which is what I think it's really cool about old Fenders, the way they age beautifully.

I'll edit the ad and take £50 off the asking price. Now £730. £200 less than a new one, if you could find one ;)

Good weekend everyone :D

Wow, no interest? I was trying to grab hold of one of these for a long time but I was always a bit scared of importing one directly from Japan. I couldn't believe when Fender started to sell them outside Japan. Grab yourself a top of the range Japanese Fender for £200 less than a new one guys!

Weekend bump with further price reduction. Just re-emphasising that this is a new instrument. Only used once in a recording session (see link in the original post).

So... A new, top of the range beautifully Japanese made Fender Precision finished in ultra thin lacquer that only weights 3.7kg can be yours for a mere 700 £1 notes (or any combination of your choice that will result in £700).

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... I was actually thinking "Brexit schmexit", but in the past 5 days I had a sale fall through due to the insecurity of an EU dependant job and two of my regular residencies cancelled. Anyone else going through stuff like that? :(

Back to topic and taking the above into consideration + the fact the I HAD to buy a new car that costed more than I planned to spend originally, this beast of a bass has now been reduced to a mere £600. That's £330 off the price I paid for it and it is NEW! No silly offers or I'll just keep the bass and go find Nigel Farage and throw a pie in his face!

Thanks

Non nitro lacquer would be a standard polyester or polyurethane lacquer, which are the modern equivalents of nitro-cellulose. This would be the default for most modern instruments. Polyester is harder, glossier than nitrocellulose and is synthetically made, whereas nitrocellulose is naturally derived, and is more compatible with the wood itself, wood being comprised of cellulose-type fibres. Nitrocellulose is also softer and flakes/ages more quickly hence the relic effect, and why most people who try to relic a polyester finish fail, end up stripping it off and applying a nitro finish to relic. The inherent compatibility of nitrocellulose with wood is where you get the 'it lets the wood breathe' thing from. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1467233302' post='3082219']
What exactly is a non-nitro lacquer?
[/quote]

I didn't know there was a non-nitro lacquer 'till someone pointed it out above. I was told this was a nitro finish when I bought it and I thought that was the case.

My other identical bass, which I've been using a lot has been aging nicely and much quicker than my poly finish basses and quite like that. It definitely feels like a much thinner finish than "normal".

Hope than helps

[quote name='TomS' timestamp='1467233620' post='3082223']
I don't like buying things I haven't played, but I could be in London Saturday 9th if it's still around then. Played one, nearly bought one when they were in shops. Lovely instruments...
[/quote]

Hi Tom! They're lovely instruments indeed. I have a gig in Cornwall on the 9th so I'll be leaving London quite early, probably in the morning. Where are you based?

[quote name='MattM' timestamp='1467236009' post='3082239']
Non nitro lacquer would be a standard polyester or polyurethane lacquer, which are the modern equivalents of nitro-cellulose. This would be the default for most modern instruments. Polyester is harder, glossier than nitrocellulose and is synthetically made, whereas nitrocellulose is naturally derived, and is more compatible with the wood itself, wood being comprised of cellulose-type fibres. Nitrocellulose is also softer and flakes/ages more quickly hence the relic effect, and why most people who try to relic a polyester finish fail, end up stripping it off and applying a nitro finish to relic. The inherent compatibility of nitrocellulose with wood is where you get the 'it lets the wood breathe' thing from. YMMV.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]

So basically the same finish as everything else? Not sure why they would advertise it specifically as lacquer then! Not a put down at all, I love the Fender Japan stuff, just genuinely curious. And somewhat interested...

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1467243821' post='3082282']

So basically the same finish as everything else? Not sure why they would advertise it specifically as lacquer then! Not a put down at all, I love the Fender Japan stuff, just genuinely curious. And somewhat interested...
[/quote]

Exaclty... I don't get that either. All I can say from my personal experience is:

- The finish does feel much thinner than that of modern Fenders;
- On my other identical bass that's used frequently the the finish is already showing signs of ageing.

Also... I was trying to find stuff on the web to clarify the matter and found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Myths-about-Nitrocellulose-finish-for-electric-guitars-/10000000004635258/g.html

After further reading, it seems that the only Fenders properly advertised as nitro are the Mexican made Classic Series Lacquer instruments.

FSR Japan like mine are simply described as Lacquer. American Vintage are apparently finished in what's described as Fender Flash Coat Lacquer. Mexican Classic Series Lacquer are the only ones that with the word Nitro associated with them (Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer).