Why become a member? ×

**NOW SOLD** Shergold Marathon Bass - 'Big Plate' Mk.1 1976 -
£450

cLepto-bass

For Sale. [b]***PRICE DROP £420***[/b]

For as long as I can remember I always wanted one of these beauties and when the opportunity to own one came up about 6 months ago I jumped at the chance. Sadly however, it just is not getting the use that is clearly deserves so I thought I would pass it on to another appreciator of fine vintage British instruments.

This is a very early Mk.1 1976 example as demonstrated by the 'big plate' scratchplate and the use of the surplus Hayman stock neck. Serial number 6022.

The bass itself sounds awesome giving a really throaty punchy growly tone (not a million miles away from a Ric neck pickup) with loads or presence and sustain. All original. Stereo output option (splits the E A strings to one amp, and D G to another). Nice and light, and well balanced. Holds its tuning really well. Beautiful vintage sunburst complemented with a lovely maple neck. Looks terrific in the mirror!

Obviously, given its age, there are a few knocks and bumps on this particular example but I imagine that most people considering one of these items would be aware of that fact.

I can throw in a gig bag, stereo lead and brand new strap that I bought specifically for this. Just looking for what I paid for it. Happy to post as buyers expense but might need a few days to get the box/materials together.

Any questions, fire away. Thanks.

Edited by uzzell

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1462735729' post='3045355']
Lovely I have a Mk 2 in the same finish is the neck straight and true?
[/quote]

The neck is absolutely spot on and straight as an arrow. I have attached a photo to try to show this but its notoriously tricky to capture this on photo (also, ignore the dust). I should also have said that the frets are also in top condition with loads of meat remaining right along the fretboard, as shown also. If you require any other photos just let me know and I will take care of it.

Incidentally, the chap you owned it before me was a collector and had it stored away for many years, so for a lot of its 40 year lifespan it has (sadly) been left alone.

• 3 weeks later...