Why become a member? ×

Status B2

The-Ox

anyone had any experience with this or any other Status?

What are the active electronics and pickups like? And whats the graphite neck like?

In other words, what are the pros and cons of Status (broad question I know, but I'm interested in your opinions)

Taran

My Series 3 is in my view the best fretted bass I have ever played. It is the Status necks that get my vote each time. They are a perfect fit for my hands. The graphite generally regarded as being more stable in various climatic conditions. Love the electronics too. I find the mid switch on the 303 board very useful. I don't have any experience with the B2 but it will have the usual high build quality from Status.

Had the S2 now a few weeks (purchased at the LBGS) and I love the thing, A local, well respected, producer/engineer described the neck as 'playing glass', a good analogy I thought. I believe the mid range frequency sweep is wider on the B2 but has the same cut/flat/boost switch. I would suggest, give Status a ring, and if possible, go visit Dawn, Rob and the guys at the 'factory' in Colchester. They had a B2 at the show which may still be available. If not it's a couple of months wait, well worth the investment IMHO. Go for it.

thank you very much guys! I think that's a good idea, I'll give them a call. I'm glad they changed the original design of Entwistle's Buzzard!

how would you guys describe the on board electronics to say an EQ01 on an ACG? I love those electronics

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1462532796' post='3043803']
I'm glad they changed the original design of Entwistle's Buzzard!

[/quote]

They didn't change it - the B2 is a different instrument. It used to be available alongside the standard Buzzard as the Buzzard 2 but following his death Status were forced to stop producing the JE-designed Buzzard by Warwick. Production of the B2 was allowed to continue as long as all refernces to the name 'Buzzard' was removed.

I've never played a B2 but have been lucky enough to play the Status Buzzard, and it's an incredible bass. The owner advised me that the closest equivalent would probably be the Stealth bass, being of one-piece graphite construction.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1462539146' post='3043872']
They didn't change it - the B2 is a different instrument. It used to be available alongside the standard Buzzard as the Buzzard 2 but following his death Status were forced to stop producing the JE-designed Buzzard by Warwick. Production of the B2 was allowed to continue as long as all refernces to the name 'Buzzard' was removed.

I've never played a B2 but have been lucky enough to play the Status Buzzard, and it's an incredible bass. The owner advised me that the closest equivalent would probably be the Stealth bass, being of one-piece graphite construction.
[/quote]

ahhh I see, so you think a Stealth is more Entwistle than a B2?

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1462532796' post='3043803']
how would you guys describe the on board electronics to say an EQ01 on an ACG? I love those electronics
[/quote]

I don't think you can compare the two as one is high/low pass filter based the other cut/boost of pre selected frequencies. I have both and prefer the bass, mid, treble of the Status. There is no doubt that there is a wealth of tones available from the ACG/East pre.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1462550623' post='3044001']
I don't think you can compare the two as one is high/low pass filter based the other cut/boost of pre selected frequencies. I have both and prefer the bass, mid, treble of the Status. There is no doubt that there is a wealth of tones available from the ACG/East pre.
[/quote]

thanks! I unfortunately had to sell my ACG, the EQ01 was fantastic! What makes you prefer the status?

I've a B2 with just the Buzzard on the headstock (FU Warwick! And not the Small guy version) Mines a early version from '96 so can't comment on the newer versions, It's a big bass but sits beautifully on strap, The EQ is superb 18v with a micro switch to activate Mid EQ knob. Sound wise very sterile on its own but in a band mix it sings, You will always get heard with this and that's without the Mids activated. The one bass that I will never sell, If you where a bit closer you could have a go.

I've owned a few different Statii but not a Stealth, my S3 and GP Vintage sound nothing like my B2 IMO.

http://www.statii.com/status_cats/reviews/26/index.html

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1462556374' post='3044061']
What makes you prefer the status?
[/quote]

I suppose it's just simplicity. It is just easier to cut or boost a single frequency. The Status pre works on both pickups at once as well. As you will know the EQ01 has low pass adjustment for the individual pickups.

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1462557865' post='3044077']
I've a B2 with just the Buzzard on the headstock (FU Warwick! And not the Small guy version) Mines a early version from '96 so can't comment on the newer versions, It's a big bass but sits beautifully on strap, The EQ is superb 18v with a micro switch to activate Mid EQ knob. Sound wise very sterile on its own but in a band mix it sings, You will always get heard with this and that's without the Mids activated. The one bass that I will never sell, If you where a bit closer you could have a go.

I've owned a few different Statii but not a Stealth, my S3 and GP Vintage sound nothing like my B2 IMO.

[url="http://www.statii.com/status_cats/reviews/26/index.html"]http://www.statii.co...s/26/index.html[/url]
[/quote]

I see thanks! Perhaps its the amount of effects he used in the 80s and the fact its John, but his tone is very very lead guitarish, then again he was bi amping and using the top end in stereo or something like that. Yeah thats a shame! I'd have loved to have had a go, thanks for the offer! Do you have any clips/vids?

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1462558289' post='3044080']
I suppose it's just simplicity. It is just easier to cut or boost a single frequency. The Status pre works on both pickups at once as well. As you will know the EQ01 has low pass adjustment for the individual pickups.
[/quote]

thanks! So would you say the EQ01 has more range of tones?

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1462564814' post='3044122']
thanks! So would you say the EQ01 has more range of tones?
[/quote]

In a word yes. Mind you Alan also offers other filter based preamps too.

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/basses/electronics/

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1462568831' post='3044158']
In a word yes. Mind you Alan also offers other filter based preamps too.

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/basses/electronics/"]http://www.acguitars...es/electronics/[/url]
[/quote]

cheers! Yeah, I was eyeing up a DFM preamp with MC series pickups. Do you or anyone you know have any experience with this?

Sorry I've no clips Solo'ed, this guy has-

http://youtu.be/jDZpxldutwg

He's got the mid activated on this clip,The best person to ask about all things Buzzard is Senmen he's a member on here but not a regular, He's had B1's and B2's and is a fountain of knowledge on JE and Status. He owned the White B2 that was for sale at Frays Bass Shop before it shut, I'm still chasing that bass!

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1462564788' post='3044121']

I see thanks! Perhaps its the amount of effects he used in the 80s and the fact its John, but his tone is very very lead guitarish, then again he was bi amping and using the top end in stereo or something like that. Yeah thats a shame! I'd have loved to have had a go, thanks for the offer! Do you have any clips/vids?
[/quote]

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1462599802' post='3044233']
Sorry I've no clips Solo'ed, this guy has-

[media]http://youtu.be/jDZpxldutwg[/media]

He's got the mid activated on this clip,The best person to ask about all things Buzzard is Senmen he's a member on here but not a regular, He's had B1's and B2's and is a fountain of knowledge on JE and Status. He owned the White B2 that was for sale at Frays Bass Shop before it shut, I'm still chasing that bass!
[/quote]

thanks mate, I saw this clip too! He achieves JE's 80s tone well, I was curious as to whether it could do more. Funnily enough I spoke to him last night! He said he preferred the B2 over the B1 due to the alder body, and also said the electronics far exceed an Alembic! I thought I'd take his word for it! Yeah I saw his white B2, amazing bass, nicer than the stock black ones