Why become a member? ×

A belated hello from an old punk.

Cabal

Hello all,

I've been kicking around on this forum for a couple of weeks now, and it seems more civilised than most, so i'm happy to say i'll be sticking around a while longer.

The name's Jake, aged 43. Its been thirty years since i first picked up a bass guitar, inspired primarily and still by JJ Burnel of The Stranglers.

I used to played in punk band Discharge amongst many others, and i'm just attempting a return to live playing after 15 years in the wilderness. Couldn't get arrested if i tried. :-)

[url="http://www.myspace.com/sweartogether"]http://www.myspace.com/sweartogether[/url]

I'm usually to be found playing a '74 Rickenbacker 4000 very loudly through an old Hiwatt, or hanging around the basses for sale board desperately trying to swap my G&L L-1505 five string for something with four.

My sound was once compared to "a JCB falling off a cliff onto a fat bird". Funnily enough, that was exactly the sound i was going for. :-)

Cheers,

Jake M

Welcome Jake, there's a few of us on this site who also play in punk bands and, as you've seen, there's tons of knowledge and humour and an active trade in gear (the legal gear that is:)).

Just wondered, do you get royalties from Metallica for their cover of Discharge's "Free speech for the dumb"? Now that would be cool!

[quote name='Jake_M' post='293710' date='Sep 28 2008, 02:35 AM']Its been thirty years since i first picked up a bass guitar, inspired primarily and still by JJ Burnel of The Stranglers.[/quote]

You and me both, Old Son. Welcome. Discharge-yes, I remember them-had a mate who was quite well into you guys. About to make my annual pilgrimage to see The Stranglers at Exeter next month-can't wait.

[quote name='Clarky' post='293744' date='Sep 28 2008, 09:04 AM']Welcome Jake, there's a few of us on this site who also play in punk bands and, as you've seen, there's tons of knowledge and humour and an active trade in gear (the legal gear that is:)).

Just wondered, do you get royalties from Metallica for their cover of Discharge's "Free speech for the dumb"? Now that would be cool![/quote]
I wish. I'm "the other" bass player. I wasn't in the original line-up so i'm not on the writing credits for the songs Metallica covered unfortunately. I was in the band '89 - '94 approx.

The original members received a pretty penny at the time. In fact, they were pretty cagey and wouldn't divulge, but i know it was substantial. Probably still is.

Cheers, Jake M

[quote name='ironside1966' post='293889' date='Sep 28 2008, 01:51 PM']I think I remember that name, did you support any major bands?[/quote]
We only did headlining during my time. I know there were some major supports earlier on, but couldn't tell you who.

I discovered after we split that there was stuff in the pipeline that would've made us. A lot of the big metal bands of the era were claiming Discharge as an influence, and wanted us to support. Only the other day Lars Ulrich was saying on The Culture Show that Discharge and GBH were two of their biggest influences. Nobody bothered to tell us what deals were being made behind the scenes at the time. Why would they, we were only the band. Talk of "long term strategy" and "territory" etc. The usual thing, all bollocks and we got shafted in the end.

Anyway, if i sound bitter i bloody was at the time, but its all ancient history now.

Cheers, Jake M

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='293890' date='Sep 28 2008, 01:56 PM']You and me both, Old Son. Welcome. Discharge-yes, I remember them-had a mate who was quite well into you guys. About to make my annual pilgrimage to see The Stranglers at Exeter next month-can't wait.[/quote]
Lost interest myself after Hugh departed. Saw them a couple of times with Paul Roberts, but it just made me sad, as did all the recorded output. Thought NORFOLK COAST was good though. I reckon they'll be much better with Baz Warne. Probably going to see them in Birmingham myself. Either them or SLF in Bilston, can't afford both. :-(

Cheers, Jake M

Edited by Jake_M