Why become a member? ×

Modding a Harley Benton PB50

orangepeelneil

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]One of these Harley Benton PB-50’s was for sale locally, so after reading all the good reviews I decided to buy it. [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]The bass actually played really well, so believe the hype and reviews about these. You cannot go wrong for the cash. The set up on this was perfect. [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I paid £65 for this, which is nothing considering it even had new strings.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]The tuners and bridge seem fine, despite what some reviewers have noted. I may look at upgrading if they have issues in the future[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]As it played so well, I decided to work on the aesthetics and cut a 50s style headstock and paint the scratchplate.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I used a Mike Dirnt template and cut it roughly with a jig saw, sanding down from 80, 200, 800, 1500 for a very smooth finish. I just oiled the cut wood for now.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]The scratchplate was cut quite roughly and sharp, so I sanded it smooth on the edges and made a nice key on the main surface for some grey paint I had. The pickuguard screw holes also needed better countersinking. [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I’ve removed the thumbrest and replaced the jack socket plate screws with something more substantial.I also fitted some spare flathead tele knobs[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Sound wise it’s fine=actually the Wilkinson pretty the pickup is reasonable, electronics are functional and OK for now.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]No bad for a few hours work![/color][/size][/font]

I bought a s/h one of these a while back, did a very similar thing with the headstock (though I also added a cheeky Telecaster decal) I also had to countersink the holes on the scratchplate and file a little bit away next to the neck, to make it sit flat. I bought some ashtrays from the states too, to cover the bridge and pup, which look a bit modern. Total cost was about £120.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:165037]

• 4 months later...