Why become a member? ×

Which semi hollow?

nerminater

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1460274813' post='3024147']

Hello!

Yeah - a few things about 5 strings.

Firstly, they really aren't practical on the short scale version. The tension on the strings is probably too low and the Low B would sound like noise, which leaves high C as your other option.

I've started looking into the possibility of a 5 string 34" Scale Version, and yes it would require a lot of prototyping.

For starters I'd probably have to change the bridge plate, because it doesn't come in a 5 string version. So it'd be a very different spec.

The other thing that gives me pause is that as a small company having a lot of stock variation means having to hold a lot more stock. So if I do it at all, it'll be in a limited colour choice - which is what I'm doing on the fretless shorty that I'm busy prototyping.

Ultimately - if there's enough demand for something - I will do it. So make sure to let me know if there's something you're interested in.

Laters
[/quote]

I'm an older 60-70s Ney York style bass guitarist.

We don't play 5 strings.

Blue

I've just bought the Ibanez Artcore 5 string (the bashed up looking one). What a sound. Lush, gorgeous and so easy to play (and it's light). B string feels and sounds great too. Why didn't I go shortscale before?

Edited by 6feet7

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1461523108' post='3035407']
Blatant plug but I've got a couple of these marked down in the For Sale Section

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/283639-chowny-chb-1-bass-tobacco-burst-2-tone-sunburst/"]http://basschat.co.u...-tone-sunburst/[/url]

- Stephen
[/quote]

If only they were 5 strings......