Why become a member? ×

Using the gain on the amp for overdrive?

isteen

Here is a Little dumb question: I use a Reidmar Head (and a TC Electronic Head in another band). Can the amps gain knob be used instead of using an overdrive pedal? Can the amp be damaged that way?
I need a smooth overdrive ikke the Vintage Microtubes

Guest bassman7755

If you can damage an amp by using preamp gain then the amp is faulty, crank it up and if you like the sound then go for it. I've not tried a reidmar but it looks like they are designed to overdrive gracefully at high gain settings.

Edited by bassman7755

I think that the gain on the preamp is there so you can match your bass output to optimal leval for the preamp so if you push it hard (specialy with a high output bass) you can risk damage to the preamp or at least make it go in protection mode and cut the sound.

There are exceptions like preamps with a valve on it where they can be pushed in to drive without harm but i think that both your amps aren't designed to do this. There are other solid state amps that have a drive integrated on their design and will be safe to do it. Full valve amps are another story and they'll gladly overdrive as much as you like.

The safest bet is to send a mail to EBS and TC and ask if their designs will take the signal without harm. Getting a used B3K won't be too expensive and you'll have a lovely drive, much better than the clipping on the amp.

This is all IMO and i'll be gladly corrected on this.

Edited by Ghost_Bass