Why become a member? ×

Flatwound strings (mini) shootout

davebass66

Great work, very interesting. I've tried a fair number of flats but keep gravitating back to La Bellas, which are my favourite. As said, it's all about the fundamental and for me the compliance and feel are second to none. They're not cheap to buy but they last forever and just continue to improve over time, so are in fact something of a bargain.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1460192958' post='3023369']
I think you can only finally decide after playing them.
[/quote]

So true, and I would add '...after playing them when recording or at a gig.' IF that's what you do. Same for any gear really, though I think I may have mentioned that before somewhere...

Edited by discreet

Thanks for this, and the hard work in putting it together, supremely useful!

Do please keep adding when you can, I wonder if other string manufacturers would like their included. I'm happy to send a virtually new set of Trubass for inclusion if it would help.

Those 760FM LaBellas sound great to my ears, just how flats should sound. I've just bought some Status flats before I saw this test, still new so jury's out at the moment but if they don't work out I'll be taking the (rather costly) LaBella plunge - might build up my finger muscles in the process!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1460192958' post='3023369']
But, never mind the sound, all those strings feel different under the fingers. For example, the DRs are slightly rough to the touch while La Bella 760M are very smooth. Tension and compliance vary a lot so, even having heard the sound, I think you can only finally decide after playing them.

By the way, GHS don't, as far as I can see, do a 50-105 set. Should it be 45-105 or 55-105?
[/quote]

This was my point in the OP that yes, of course this is not a be all and end all type test, I just noticed that what is often missing from the discussion on strings is (consistent) audio samples, unfortunately there is no way to accurately tell people what the strings really 'feel' like to play because, as we all know, that type of thing is completely subjective. For example, so many strings are inconsistent, the set of strings that DR sent me had a slightly rough G but the rest were as smooth as glass, or just look at our different views on the GHS flats etc etc... Equally, the DR's, to my ears, sounded much nicer straight into the focusrite than they did amplified through my Aguilar rig, where they became al little 'honky' and undefined. My aim is just to give people a bit of an idea of the sound of the strings I guess....

re the GHS, yes you are totally right, sorry! The gauge was 55-105, will edit the op.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1460198166' post='3023440'] Great work, very interesting. I've tried a fair number of flats but keep gravitating back to La Bellas, which are my favourite. As said, it's all about the fundamental and for me the compliance and feel are second to none. They're not cheap to buy but they last forever and just continue to improve over time, so are in fact something of a bargain. [/quote]

Completely agree with this, I also keep coming back to the La Bellas (FS), they just work with an old P bass and especially the Aguilar gear I use.

Thanks for the comments on this guys, always interesting to get other peoples thoughts and opinions!

4 Strings I'll PM you about those Trubass strings if thats still ok? Gonna try and get audio up for EB Cobalt flats at some point this week too.