Why become a member? ×

Fender 60's Jazz Basses vs American Vintage ’62 Reissue

Dutchie

Hi Basschatters,

This may have been discussed on here before, if so sorry to bring up the subject again.

Can anyone tell me the real difference between the Fender Classic Series ’60s Jazz Bass and the Fender Jazz Bass American Vintage ’62 Reissue?

I know that one is made in Mexico and the other in the US and that American reissue has the stack volume and tone controls, but take those away and it’s virtually the same as the Classic Series isn't it?. So, if you took them both apart bit by bit would you know the difference?

Thanks in advance

[quote name='Dutchie' timestamp='1459284809' post='3015199']
Hi Basschatters,

This may have been discussed on here before, if so sorry to bring up the subject again.

Can anyone tell me the real difference between the Fender Classic Series ’60s Jazz Bass and the Fender Jazz Bass American Vintage ’62 Reissue?

I know that one is made in Mexico and the other in the US and that American reissue has the stack volume and tone controls, but take those away and it’s virtually the same as the Classic Series isn't it?. So, if you took them both apart bit by bit would you know the difference?

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

The Classic '60s model is a mix of all the recognisable features of a '60s Jazz (reverse tuners, pickup spacing, approx neck profile, colour scheme, standard vintage voiced pickups, Mexican built - so multiple bits of alder in the body etc).

The US vintage '62 is built more in line with the old spec of that specific year where possible. Nitro lacquer, less than 3 bits of body wood, side seaming on sunburst models (body is joined front to back, not left half and right half, which means any visual join is lost under the black in the sunburst finish. This makes the body look like a one piece body that it originally would've been but is not longer possible due to costs), hard case, stack knobs and vintage voiced pickups, nicer quality Alder, little details like a vintage style serial number on the neck plate (Classic '60s has the standard serial as a decal on the headstock) etc etc etc

In answer to the original question, both models have their merits and there are definitely clear differences in quality and attention to detail between the two that would be obvious and justify a price difference (how much is an eternal basschat debate!). Whether the price difference is justifiable or not is the decision for the bassist with the money in their hand! :-)

Edited by skej21

American vintage 62 Jbs are usually lighter than Mexican Classic 60s and have a better "lutherie" as skej21 said.

If i had to choose a Mexican JB, i would get a Road worn JB. Even better, a SECOND HAND Road worn JB.
Excellent instrument for the price. Try one, you will not be disapointed.
My advice :)

Edited by Emanew

Not sure about 62 reissue but I had 64, and while I am not a massive expert on Fenders, I guess the American series are made as close to the original basses from that era as possible. Mine had clay coloured dots, reverse tuners, nitro finish, phillips style truss rod adjustment at the body side and even the neck was stamped at the heel with the date like it was in the old days. Plus vintage style case with all the bits and bobs, ashtrays with foam mute on the bridge tray, some old leaflets etc.

Thank you all for replying!

I'm gradually gaining my knolledge on Fender basses...

Mr.Noisey, Regarding the 64 reissue; that had a thinner laminate fret board and it looks too thin and fragile in my opinion, did that give it a particualr sound or was that a cost cutting thing as time went on during the early sixties?

With regards to the frets, the vintage ones are alot thinner, how does this differ from the larger fatter ones like you see on te new basses?

Also, I've noticed that with some Jazz Basses especially the older ones that the body contour shape is slightly different, I mean curve where the neck is there is some kind of bump, I've seen this on the vintage reissues but not on the new american standard, can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers
D

I am not much of a technical guy to be honest so can't really say too much. I don't remember if the fingerboard was thin like in the sixties, but al i can say is that this bass never felt fragile, except the nitro finish, it was very thin and prone to chips and dings. Regarding the frets, again, i am not an expert but I heard some professional players like Lee Sklar saying that they use and prefer thinner frets because there is less string noise or buzz due to the thinner surface of the fret. I had flats on that Jazz fitted since I bought it and until I sold it, so I don't know if that was the case. I got small frets on my other custom bass though that is always strung with roundwounds and I got the action quite low and don't have a problem with buzzing etc, but again, I don't know if this is down to years of playing and my light touch and technique.