Why become a member? ×

Robust Roadworthy Power Supplies

Norris

I recently had the 14V PSU for my Boss GT6B develop a fault - the strands broke where the cable goes into the strain relief grommet. I bought a replacement and it's the cheapest, flimsiest thing imaginable.

Then last night the 9V (but +ve cenre pin) PSU for my DMX lighting controller had severed through the strands at the same point where it enters the grommet. I made do for the night by stripping the cables back, twisting them together and wrapping in gaffer tape.

They all seem so cheap and fragile, even the OEM supples.

Can you get decent, robust PSUs? Can anybody recommend a brand?

Always difficult, this. have a good look through thye Maplin site, also CPC. But so many are simply the cheapies you already know and love. For the GT6B, get hold of Customer Service at Boss. It won't be cheap, but it will be better. The alternative is to go for on e of the upmarket pedal board supplies, which won't help you one bit with the GT6B...

You could put the GT6B on a pedalboard and buy the proper Boss PSU. Have both fixed down on the board along with a mains extention and use that to plug into the venue's power supply.

Same with the DMX. If it's rackable. You could get something like this.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1459084568' post='3013385'] I recently had the 14V PSU for my Boss GT6B develop a fault - the strands broke where the cable goes into the strain relief grommet. I bought a replacement and it's the cheapest, flimsiest thing imaginable. Then last night the 9V (but +ve cenre pin) PSU for my DMX lighting controller had severed through the strands at the same point where it enters the grommet. I made do for the night by stripping the cables back, twisting them together and wrapping in gaffer tape. They all seem so cheap and fragile, even the OEM supples. Can you get decent, robust PSUs? Can anybody recommend a brand? [/quote]

What Current rating is needed on the DMX ? Suggest look at something like
[color=#999999][font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]RS Stock No. [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][b]770-2788[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][b]Decent strain relief on output cable. I use a 24V 30W version for work test rig purposes. PSU is [/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][b]Switch Mode but I guess your existing DMX psu is a switcher at the moment ?[/b][/size][/font][/color]
Output on 'mine' is 2.1mm DC Plug Centre Positive.