Why become a member? ×

Extension Cab for Cube Bass 100

Ejb

I used a Roland BC100 for a couple of years for small & medium sized gigs.It was reliable and projects well off stage. For a 100 watt amp it is pretty loud. The ext cab must be 8 ohm. I used an SWR 110 cab but they're hard to come by. I would go with something about the same size so that they sit together well. The Eden EXT110 might be a contender.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/guitars/bass/101771-eden-ex110-8-compact-bass-cab-8ohm/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base&gclid=Cj0KEQjwid63BRCswIGqyOubtrUBEiQAvTol0TfoANBurFsZy9ljdoxV3kX7CugEj4ZUiA8P6mOS1RYaAqjZ8P8HAQ

Edited by grandad

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1459088542' post='3013433']
An interesting point is that the extension cab sits in series with the combo, so the recommended MAX impedance is 8ohms. This is contrary to most situations where they are wired in parallel, and the MIN impedance is 8ohms generally.
[/quote]

Are you sure? I would have thought that the extension cab is in parallel with the internal speaker. Sometimes where literature states max 8 ohms they refer to "maximum load" which equates to minimum impedance. This can lead to confusion.

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1459090594' post='3013456']

Are you sure? I would have thought that the extension cab is in parallel with the internal speaker. Sometimes where literature states max 8 ohms they refer to "maximum load" which equates to minimum impedance. This can lead to confusion.
[/quote]
The extension is in series with the internal driver. Hence the specified max 8 ohm extension speaker impedance, as opposed to a minimum rating for the usual parallel situation. Its an unusual setup for sure.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1459192138' post='3014330']
The extension is in series with the internal driver. Hence the specified max 8 ohm extension speaker impedance, as opposed to a minimum rating for the usual parallel situation. Its an unusual setup for sure.
[/quote]

Just had a look at the block diagram in the manual and you appear to be correct. Yup, that is unusual.

I have owned a Cube Bass 100 for over 8 years, I added extra porting to the rear to extend the internal speaker low end and added a parallel 2 xjack socket plate. I can run the internal speaker in parallel with an extension cab or just an external cab on it's own. The amp comfortably drives the two 8 ohm speakers at 4 ohms without any fuss or bother.Great flexibility for home or small pub venues.