Why become a member? ×

12" Tones

AndrewJordan

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1458773608' post='3010877']
Our 10CR cabs are warmer and fatter sounding than any other cabs we've made, be they 10"s, 12"s, or 15"s. Some of our 12XN cabs can do much better lows than many of our old 15" cabs. Our 12XN cabs have more clarity than any 10" I've come across.

It's nothing to do with the nominal cone diameter and everything to do with a ton of different design decisions to the cone, suspension, motor, enclosure, crossover and so on.
[/quote]

So it is to do with cab design and other components that voice the cab - this is why I love Basschat, you can get the spot-on answers from the people who make the gear with understandable explanations.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1458847006' post='3011578']So it is to do with cab design and other components that voice the cab - this is why I love Basschat, you can get the spot-on answers from the people who make the gear with understandable explanations.[/quote]

It's mostly speaker design not cab design that gives the cab its voicing, unless you have complex crossovers and multiple drivers. I don't consider the cone diameter the dominant characteristic which defines the tone or performance of the speaker, it's just one of many different interacting parameters.

I guess you could compare it to the number of cylinders in a car engine and how that affects the performance of the car - there is a correlation but the bore and stroke of the cylinders, compression ratio, valve number and area, cam shapes, reciprocating mass, rotating mass, exhaust design, induction design, aspiration method, fuel type, etc, all matter and together have far greater importance than the number of cylinders alone.