Why become a member? ×

Peavey Cirrus BXP Bridge Saddles

GazzaRazza

Hi Guys

I bought a Peavey Cirrus BXP as a second bass the other day and I have to say I really like it.

I have one problem though....the bridge it's a single string type and although the bass is set up nicely I can't get the strings low enough to suit me. For now I've taken the bridge saddles out completely. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you get around it?

Cheers!

Both my Millennium BXP's have single saddles and are 1.25mm G - 1.5mm E but my BXP Cirrus is 2mm G -2.25mm E.

Come to think of it my USA Cirrus is the same 2mm - 2.25mm. All I can suggest is maybe file down either the bottom of the saddle or cut a deeper groove in the die cast.
No idea what that part is called ( saddle perhaps ?? ) :D You may need to drop the bridge pickup height.

A wee check of other thru neck basses here told the same story but I wonder if a slightly lighter string gauge would help.

BXP Cirrus needs a restring anyway so I'll do that tomorrow with a lighter gauge and post the outcome.

Right had some success,don't think the lighter gauge strings had much impact though.

Took the part of the saddle with 2 grub screws out using 1.5mm Allen key,there's a wee grub screw at the front.Placed a file on flat bit of wood for support and filed
it down till I reached the marks left by the wee grub screw,cleaned off any burrs and slotted it back in. Job done :) Remember to wind the height grub screws well up.

E is now down to acceptable 1.75mm.

Don't take the grub screw that holds the saddle out or you'll need to set your intonation again.It's the angled one at the back.
Didn't take too long and if you take too much off those two grub screws will rectify matters for you.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks mate that's great, that's exactly what I'll do, when I bought the bass the bridge saddle for the E string was missing and the set up was pretty bad! The bass is set up Ok now with the bridge saddles out and a few pieces of cardboard lol I've ordered a new bridge for it just to get the saddles as I couldn't find them anywhere.

When they arrive I'll file them down and hopefully that will sort the problem out, I'm surprised how well the bass plays.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1458238484' post='3005933']
Great bass, no doubt about it. Sounds & plays the same as the US version albeit 34" instead of 35" :)
[/quote]

Were there two versions? My Cirrus BXP is 35"...

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1458582444' post='3008826']
Aye. Couldn't say when they changed though.

The reissue will definitely be 35" scale though, whenever it appears.
[/quote]

Thanks KB. Pretty sure mine is one of the early ones - it ate batteries, till I trashed the wiring by accident (on about the tenth battery in three months) and had to patch it. That seemed to sort it out.