Why become a member? ×

Mesa 400 stereo

umph

This thing is LOUD you learn to understand the meaning of loud when you use one of these but it also has a volume knob so i've been quite happy using it at bedroom levels without the neighbours complaining. This amp also has a insane amount of head room you can pretty much run it flatout without it distorting, In terms of sounds its incredibly high fi and pretty much just amplifys what you put into it and it will run without a pre amp etc but could do with a clean boost or something in front of it to bring it up to line volume, this is basically the Mesa 400+ without the preamp.

The reason i'm selling is because i've never been able to get this past 4 without being told to turn down, and i fancy a change of tone something with more of a vintage vibe, so i'm open to trades on something with a little less power that can be cranked and still has the same fatness of the mesa
i'd be looking for around £550ono for this Comes with flightcase which it has spent all of its life in, it currently has a new set of mullards in it and has a spare set of mesa branded valves which i'll throw in for free!
These are the best i can do picture wise since i've run out of batterys and my camara only has about 3 seconds of battery life before it turns itself off ;< I forgot to mention this head has been modded at some point i think and a fans been put in so no worries of accidently cooking whatever you leave on top of the amp

Edited by umph

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='290238' date='Sep 23 2008, 06:51 PM']Is this a legendary Strategy 400 power amp? :) You can pull half the power valves out and run it at lower volumes if you want.[/quote]
aye it is, i'd rather not pull out half the power amp valves it's not so good for the transformer ;o i'd rather just get a lesser powered amp. how come you don't like the v6 tayste?

Oh for gods buy the Strategy 400, its a bargain and it'll get you off my back about selling mine :huh:

[quote name='umph' post='290242' date='Sep 23 2008, 06:56 PM']aye it is, i'd rather not pull out half the power amp valves it's not so good for the transformer[/quote]
Its not going to hurt the transformer :). Valve amps are pretty robust. All it will do is make the amp ever so slightly less warm but not to a noticable degree for most people.

Well I would be tempted but I have a hotel bill and hire car to pay off and a 6 string custom bass to pay for this month...anyone want to beat me to it?

Umph, any chance of some pics with the case off so I can see the condition of the transformers and PCBs?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='290282' date='Sep 23 2008, 08:04 PM']Well I would be tempted but I have a hotel bill and hire car to pay off and a 6 string custom bass to pay for this month...anyone want to beat me to it?

Umph, any chance of some pics with the case off so I can see the condition of the transformers and PCBs?[/quote]
aye i'll get some pictures sorted tommorow! the quicker i can sell this the better i've got my eye on that orange OR-120 on ebay