Why become a member? ×

Removing dings and scratches with a cloth and an iron?

Dubs

One more thing - Have a look at these pics of the neck -

[attachment=13894:neck1.JPG]
[attachment=13895:neck2.JPG]
[attachment=13896:neck3.JPG]
[attachment=13902:neck4.JPG]

I can’t tell if the neck is slightly warped or just that the contoured neck/fret board is a design feature of the SSII, but either way I’m unsure because the neck of my SSI is very true and flat with no contouring -

[attachment=13903:sineck1.JPG]
[attachment=13904:sineck2.JPG]

Any advice on this would also be appreciated.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='290897' date='Sep 24 2008, 02:58 PM']Yeah I’m planning on doing the whole thing…I’ve actually started already – I’m rubbing the wax off with the scotchbrite cloth and a bit of fine wire wool, but should it look like the surface of the wood is scratching ever so slightly? I’m just lightly pushing on the cloths and rubbing down the wax in a circular motion which seems to be working well but it’s leaving very faint scratch marks. Most of these scratch marks come off if I rub them down hard with my thumb or a dense washing sponge, but should it be scratching like this in the first place or will they disappear once I apply the melted layer of wax?

A couple of “Before” pictures;[/quote]

>>>I’m rubbing the wax off with the scotchbrite cloth and a bit of fine wire wool, but should it look like the surface of the wood is scratching ever so slightly?

Run with the grain - don't go in circles. No need to be too heavy handed. I didn't bother with steel wool - I found that scotbrite was enough. After a rub down the bass should then be fine.

As for the neck - looks like there might be a tiny bit of warping, but nothing a luthier couldn't level off. :) Is it noticable when you try to get a good setup?

I wouldn't even bother with removing existing wax at this point - get straight into the steaming out of the dents, once you're happy with it give it a good clean and re-wax.

Be gentle with the scotchbrite pad / wire wool, but any faint marks will be invisible after waxing anyway.

I hate to say it, but that next doesn't look right at all - I hope it's an optical illusion. Neck issues are the single reason I no longer own Warwick basses.

[quote name='Dodge' post='290956' date='Sep 24 2008, 03:53 PM']I wouldn't even bother with removing existing wax at this point - get straight into the steaming out of the dents, once you're happy with it give it a good clean and re-wax.

Be gentle with the scotchbrite pad / wire wool, but any faint marks will be invisible after waxing anyway.

I hate to say it, but that next doesn't look right at all - I hope it's an optical illusion. Neck issues are the single reason I no longer own Warwick basses.[/quote]

A luthier should be able to level it off without too much trouble. These things happen, even on wenge necks...

Cheers for the advice guys. Steaming the dents out worked really well and the scratches by the knobs are almost completely unnoticeable now. I’ve given it quite a thick layer of the melted wax that I’m going to leave on over night so I’ll buff it up tomorrow and then put everything back together.

As for the neck…:wacko: I’ll have to see what happens when I give it another setup…I don't have money for a luthier :)

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='291157' date='Sep 24 2008, 07:00 PM']As for the neck…:wacko: I’ll have to see what happens when I give it another setup…I don't have money for a luthier :)[/quote]
You saved cash by not using Furniture Medic son - treat yerself!

Oh, ave it Pompey.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='291157' date='Sep 24 2008, 07:00 PM']Cheers for the advice guys. Steaming the dents out worked really well and the scratches by the knobs are almost completely unnoticeable now. I’ve given it quite a thick layer of the melted wax that I’m going to leave on over night so I’ll buff it up tomorrow and then put everything back together.

As for the neck…:wacko: I’ll have to see what happens when I give it another setup…I don't have money for a luthier :)[/quote]

The going rate is usually around £100 quid.

Bit of an update – This was done yesterday evening.

Half stripped;
[attachment=13932:shalfdone.JPG]

Mostly stripped;
[attachment=13933:smostlydone.JPG]

Pics of the scratch down by the knobs after I steamed it out. It’s come up really nicely :)
[attachment=13934:sscratch1.JPG]
[attachment=13935:sscratch2.JPG]

Nice work mate, but get that neck down a shop tout-de-bloody-suite mush.

On a lighter note, there will be people hanging from the lamp-posts of Goldsmith Avenue today. And it's a right f***ing joy working in Brighton after they did manc sh*tty after they gave us the good news on Sunday. Better not get shafted by the Yids on Sat or I will have to set light to something and mummy told me to stop doing that or I will end up wetting the bed again...

Hope I've not ruined your day,

Mr Lager.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='291529' date='Sep 25 2008, 10:02 AM']Nice work mate, but get that neck down a shop tout-de-bloody-suite mush.

On a lighter note, there will be people hanging from the lamp-posts of Goldsmith Avenue today. And it's a right f***ing joy working in Brighton after they did manc sh*tty after they gave us the good news on Sunday. Better not get shafted by the Yids on Sat or I will have to set light to something and mummy told me to stop doing that or I will end up wetting the bed again...

Hope I've not ruined your day,

Mr Lager.[/quote]

ah don’t get me started on the football…“we’re concentrating on the UEFA Cup” :huh: We had no chance against Chelski, but it’s proper annoying that Man sh*tty got done by the League 1 giants Brighton. In all honesty the City result is just funny. The footy isn’t the worst news of today though; I just found out I didn’t get the job that I interviewed for last week. Oh well, I’ve got half a bottle of Jim Beam somewhere, that’s gonna be gone by lunch and then I’ll go and meet my girlfriend after she’s finished work to tell her the good news :) Oh well, something will come up...

Ok, here’s the finished refinish;

[attachment=13956:sfinish1.JPG]

The pic doesn’t look that great but rubbing off the wax and using the damp cloth and towel technique then refinishing it made the world of difference to it and in the flesh it looks great. Here’s a pic of the scratch…I’ve circled the area where is was just incase you cant make it out :);

[attachment=13957:sfinish2.JPG]

Overall I’m really happy with how it’s turned out, and I think in all it took me around 3 to 4 hours of work but it’s been worth it and an experience. Still not quite sure what to do about the neck situation though…

[quote name='budget bassist' post='291806' date='Sep 25 2008, 02:36 PM']Does anybody know if this steaming lark will get some dents/scratches out of my tobias? Only i'm not sure what finish it has, i think it's oiled? I'm pretty sure it's not laquered because the finish is uber thin (you can't REALLY see it) and it's not glossy or anything.[/quote]

Not familiar with Tobias, but it should work. Best check on how to re-finish though.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='292107' date='Sep 25 2008, 07:05 PM']Ok, here’s the finished refinish;

[attachment=13956:sfinish1.JPG]

The pic doesn’t look that great but rubbing off the wax and using the damp cloth and towel technique then refinishing it made the world of difference to it and in the flesh it looks great. Here’s a pic of the scratch…I’ve circled the area where is was just incase you cant make it out :);

[attachment=13957:sfinish2.JPG]

Overall I’m really happy with how it’s turned out, and I think in all it took me around 3 to 4 hours of work but it’s been worth it and an experience. Still not quite sure what to do about the neck situation though…[/quote]

Great job, came out well. That's the beauty of natural finishes - they do wear out, but they can easily be refreshed... ^_^

As for the neck - get a guitar shop to look at it. It should be possible to either level off the fretboard and refret or steam and re-set the neck. The latter is a pretty major job, though. Most likely the former will do the trick.

Edited by rjb

Here’s a pic of it restrung –

[attachment=14017:sdfg.JPG]

The pic doesn’t look as good as it does in the flesh, but then it’s always hard trying to take a pic that gives a true representation of how an instrument looks in real life.

Good news on the neck situation as well – As ridiculous as it may sound, it seems to have straightened itself out. I think this could have something to do with it possibly being kept in a cold warehouse overnight when it was being shipped to me and the combination of me having the strings off it for 2 or 3 days whilst I was refinishing the body (no tension through the neck). Anyway, it’s had strings on it for the last 2 days and has been kept in a reasonably warm part of the house so I think this has sorted it out and it’s going to be fine :)

I know wood can change shape depending on the temperature and humidity so I’d guess that this was just all it was, but just to be sure I’ll be keeping a close eye on it for the next couple of weeks.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='293448' date='Sep 27 2008, 02:45 PM']I know wood can change shape depending on the temperature and humidity so I’d guess that this was just all it was, but just to be sure I’ll be keeping a close eye on it for the next couple of weeks.[/quote]

Yeah it could have been a number of things. Glad to hear that all it well after the re-finish. :)