Why become a member? ×

Notation software....with a difference.

ambient

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1457001147' post='2994307']
I know a few composers with these type of scores. They all use Adobe Illustrator for them if that helps.
[/quote]

That's great, thanks. I'll look into that.

A friend mentioned Inkscape too.

Thanks again :)

Illustrator is obviously the professionals choice for this (although you may find that you need Photoshop too depending on what graphical effects you want), but it's not particularly cheap.

However if you Mac is sufficiently old enough to run OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard you might be able to make use of the free version of Creative Suite 2 which includes both Illustrator and Photoshop. Be warned that this version was pretty buggy under OS X 10.4 and I can't imagine that it will be any more stable under a newer OS. Otherwise if you think you can master the program enough to do all your work in a month you could download the trial version of Illustrator CC 2015 and use it until it expires.

Inkscape looks as though it might be suitable and as it's free you don't really have anything to loose except time if you want to try it.

If you want to incorporate and manipulate your conventional score items you will need to be able to export them as either .eps or editable .pdf files.