Why become a member? ×

Gator shallow 4U case for Mesa 400+

onehappybunny

A Boogie 400+ is a big amp and I think it will need a full length case. You'd better check the length [b]and[/b] the width, because there is a lot of heat generated and the fan is sucking air in from the side. On a regular SKB case there is no room between the amp and the side of the case so I had to cut holes in the side of the handle cover. Without good air flow from the side you will fry the amp!

[quote name='chris_b' post='288950' date='Sep 22 2008, 08:51 AM']A Boogie 400+ is a big amp and I think it will need a full length case. You'd better check the length [b]and[/b] the width, because there is a lot of heat generated and the fan is sucking air in from the side. On a regular SKB case there is no room between the amp and the side of the case so I had to cut holes in the side of the handle cover. Without good air flow from the side you will fry the amp![/quote]

I've had no problem with mine sitting in a 6U shallow Gator case. I wonder if that is a different size to a shallow SKB case? I do have 1U of space free between the Mesa and my rack tuner though.

[quote name='jimbartlett' post='288952' date='Sep 22 2008, 08:55 AM']....I've had no problem with mine sitting in a 6U shallow Gator case. I wonder if that is a different size to a shallow SKB case? I do have 1U of space free between the Mesa and my rack tuner though....[/quote]
Sounds like the shallow case is OK then, but main thing for me was the amount of space at the side for the air flow to the fan. The SKB is 450mm between the handle covers which is exactly the width of the Boogie 400+. Sounds like the Gator case is wider than the SKB. The Gator web site has some size info.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='288959' date='Sep 22 2008, 09:17 AM']Sounds like the shallow case is OK then, but main thing for me was the amount of space at the side for the air flow to the fan. The SKB is 450mm between the handle covers which is exactly the width of the Boogie 400+. Sounds like the Gator case is wider than the SKB. The Gator web site has some size info.[/quote]

No, you are right on the space between the side of the amp and the case. I'd better check mine out tonight as I never thought about the fan blowing in from the side. I assumed that having 1u of space above the valves would give it sufficient air flow. Thanks for the heads up! :) :huh:

[quote name='jimbartlett' post='288964' date='Sep 22 2008, 09:34 AM']....I never thought about the fan blowing in from the side. I assumed that having 1u of space above the valves would give it sufficient air flow....[/quote]
I would think that the extra space above the amp is allowing convection to bring cooler air into the back of the amp. I didn't have that on my 4U case.

[quote name='chris_b' post='288972' date='Sep 22 2008, 09:44 AM']I would think that the extra space above the amp is allowing convection to bring cooler air into the back of the amp. I didn't have that on my 4U case.[/quote]

Does anyone else have an opinion on this before I take a drill to the side of my Gator case?

[quote name='chris_b' post='289106' date='Sep 22 2008, 12:47 PM']Whoa!! Don't drill if you don't have a problem. How hot does your amp run? It sounds like your 6U case is OK but the OP was talking about 4U cases. Do you get a burning smell? I did which is why I made some holes in the handle plate.[/quote]

No, I don't get a burning smell at all. There is heat coming off the valves but no burning smell. I had a 4 hour rehearsal last night and the amp worked fine without overheating or getting a problem.