Why become a member? ×

NBD - 1975 Fender Jazz

LewisK1975

So I've been fancying a 70's Jazz for a while.

Toyed with the idea of getting a new re-issue / USA Geddy Lee. Then was browsing my usual sites (bass direct, bass gear, wunjo, andy baxter, bass gallery) and came across a YOB Jazz on the Bass Gallery website. They also had a '77 in exactly the same colour / neck combo so I decided to go and have a look at them.

Spent a while A/B'ing the 75 and 77 and preferred the 75, the neck just felt a little deeper in my hand (more 'U' shaped maybe) than the 77 and it's certainly what I'd been looking for looks and sound-wise.

Talked it over with John and subsequently found out that the 2 Basses I'd been trying were commission sales, both owned by a certain Steve Miles (owner of Basschat.co.uk).

So - I'd found a YOB Jazz in my favoured colour / neck combo, which had already had a Badass II added (probably would have done that myself anyway) and got myself a few bits thrown into the deal - seemed a bit of a no-brainer to me really..

So I drove it home in its rather nice (albeit non-original) case. Spent some time on it, gave it a spruce up and re-string, setup to my taste (action was really low, I like to dig in a bit so needed a tweak) and she's ready to go!

[attachment=213072:75 Jazz Full.jpg] [attachment=213073:75 Jazz Body.jpg]

Ha - destiny indeed!

Unfortunately I haven't got an interface for recording onto PC, thought about getting one a few times, never got round to it!

The main difference to something more modern would obviously just be the neck shape - 7.25" radius and more U shaped than C shaped. Also the micro-tilt is a great idea, not sure why they stopped doing that..

I would also say the pickups are lower output than more modern Fenders, but hey that's what the gain knob on the amp is for...

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1456326164' post='2987889']
Gorgeous bass, congrats Lew!
[/quote]
[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1456326591' post='2987897']
Despite what I grew up hearing about CBS Fenders the 70s was truly a glorious era for beautiful jazz basses.

Lovely example you've got there.
[/quote]

Thanks Gents - I'm really happy with it - Now for the 5-string clearout! Turns out I don't need the B string after all......

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1456328400' post='2987921']

Thanks Gents - I'm really happy with it - Now for the 5-string clearout! Turns out I don't need the B string after all......
[/quote]

Is that the Sandberg who's praises you were singing?

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1456340387' post='2988082']
Is that the Sandberg who's praises you were singing?
[/quote]
That's the one! - No doubt the Sandberg is a great Bass, but just for a laugh I only took a P Bass to my gigs last weekend, and had no trouble at all!

So I thought, you know what, lets get a really nice Jazz and that'll be fine!

Therefore my Sandberg VM5 and Musicman SUB 5 are now up for sale, in the for sale section! Will it ever end? I hope not!!!!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1456342672' post='2988111']

That's the one! - No doubt the Sandberg is a great Bass, but just for a laugh I only took a P Bass to my gigs last weekend, and had no trouble at all!

So I thought, you know what, lets get a really nice Jazz and that'll be fine!

Therefore my Sandberg VM5 and Musicman SUB 5 are now up for sale, in the for sale section! Will it ever end? I hope not!!!!
[/quote]

Ahhhhhh i'd love to relieve you of the SUB.