Why become a member? ×

A 1-2-1 with Jon Shuker 5 String Jazz type Build

yorks5stringer

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='300064' date='Oct 5 2008, 07:24 PM']very nice indeed, very similar to my soon to be inbound shuker....didn't happen to see it while you were there did you?[/quote]

There are basses in all different states of readiness, Jon told me on Friday he built 6 necks including 2X 6 string ricky types! He puts in at least a 6.5 day week and then all his emails when he gets home: I don't know how he manages it!

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='299971' date='Oct 5 2008, 04:35 PM']That looks stunning and I look forward to hearing it in use some day !![/quote]

Then just come and see the Idle Hands, dates on this site!

[url="http://www.myspace.com/idlehandstrio"]http://www.myspace.com/idlehandstrio[/url]

this looks absolutely great! these five day courses are great, aren't they? how much did the finished price come to for you, if you don't mind me asking? mine was £990, but mine was only four string, with a natural finish, plain ash, 2 band EQ etc.

[quote name='lwtait' post='300728' date='Oct 6 2008, 06:56 PM']this looks absolutely great! these five day courses are great, aren't they? how much did the finished price come to for you, if you don't mind me asking? mine was £990, but mine was only four string, with a natural finish, plain ash, 2 band EQ etc.[/quote]

Thanks for the kind comments.
Yes, the basic price was £900, but is now £950 I understand. However I paid extra for the SD soapbars and STC 3 band preamp so it cost me £1100 all told. However the cost was secondary to actually making my own bass to my spec: let's face it I could have bought a Fender USA for £700, equally I could have paid £1500 for a Fender Marcus Miller V as well.
There are not that many people who can say "I hand-made my bass": I'd say it was 95-7% me with 3-5% of JS showing me the first step or rescuing my mistakes!
Re the 5 day course, I must be very slow/ fastidious as it it ran to 7 days in total: 3 days, then 2 then a 14 hour one on the end. Needless to say I have to go back to adjust the truss again, check the setup, put in the rest of the cover plate screws and give the body a good buff again! This was a true 1-2-1 'course' with no-one else on it so I had JS at my beck and call all the time, it wasn't as if he was busy building other basses to my exclusion.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='300889' date='Oct 6 2008, 10:46 PM']There are not that many people who can say "I hand-made my bass": I'd say it was 95-7% me with 3-5% of JS showing me the first step or rescuing my mistakes![/quote]

i found that, too, jon got the balance just right between doing it all and just leaving you to do it yourself. he was always there to help, but tried to do as little as possible so as much of it was built by you as possible.

i know there's at least one other basschatter who's done this course (he did the five person one) because i spoke to him about it before i decided to go on the course and he had pretty much the same comments.

That is absolutely brilliant mate!

Lovin the pic of Ruby! Such a cool dog! Everytime I go there with my mate who enjoys coming along for the ride, he absolutely bricks it because he isn't fond of big dogs!

As for the course, I'd really love to try my hand on it. I am, by my own admission, absolutely feckin useless at stuff like that, so if Jon could help me make a good bass, then he really is a God among men! To be fair he isn't far off that already :)

[quote name='presoulnation' post='301546' date='Oct 7 2008, 05:17 PM']That is absolutely brilliant mate!

Lovin the pic of Ruby! Such a cool dog! Everytime I go there with my mate who enjoys coming along for the ride, he absolutely bricks it because he isn't fond of big dogs!

As for the course, I'd really love to try my hand on it. I am, by my own admission, absolutely feckin useless at stuff like that, so if Jon could help me make a good bass, then he really is a God among men! To be fair he isn't far off that already :)[/quote]

Jon was saying he has already had a few comments about Ruby re the ear-protectors! Ruby is so soft for a Rotty, so much so I had to check with him if she was one!
RE the skills required, I regard myself quite handy on the old psychomotor skills, do a lot of DIY around the house and car yet struggled using the spoke shave for the neck and on spraying technique. Having said that I reckon I could replicate my new bass with access to the relevant tools. Am considering an Aldi router, on offer this week! Some of the skills are based on experience, areas I thought did not need further rubbing down he could see a plain as day!

cool! nicely done!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='301562' date='Oct 7 2008, 05:35 PM']Am considering an Aldi router, on offer this week![/quote]

as Ive heard, cheap routers dont always work out, sometimes you have to bin them and buy a half decent one anyway. you might want to consider an entry level bosch, ive got one and it work for me :) though Im now eyeing up the trade rated bosch...

That Sir, is amazing, what a result.
I know how much hard work is put into building a guitar and I know exactly what you mean about using the spoke shaves, a little goes a long way. :)
When I was doing fret stones everyday, I use to pray for 20 fret basses to come into the shop, as you loose the will to live after profiling, then polishing fret after fret and rubbing down lacquer through the grades, but I'm a perfectionist and really buzzed when you could get the finished neck or body like glass.
IMHO custom built basses are worth every penny, the hours and hours of work and skill that go into them are mind boggling, that's why you never see a rich custom builder.
Tell me more about the neck-dropping incident. :huh:

Edited by steve-soar

+1 re the fret dressing, as after doing it up and down with the wide file, the diamond stone, and then across with the individual fret file, we wrapped some of the finishing sheet used for the body around the fret file and smoothed each one off individually again to regain the round edge profile. 'Luckily' I have only 21 frets as when sanding the neck on day 4, I did not clamp it to the bench.
It slipped and hit the ground, as the fretboard was at that stage untrimmed and proud of the neck, a corner broke off back to the 22nd fret slot and was unrepairable.
Jon improvised with something that resembles the slap groove on later JD's but at the end of the neck. Looks quite cool IMHO!
You can see it on the photos on 23rd at 9.45 pm before and after although the white masking tape on the end of the neck confuses the view a little on the modified version.

I'm taking it back on Saturday as I have a gig quite close by and will buff it right up, hopefully drop the action and then take some proper photos.

Edited by yorks5stringer