Why become a member? ×

XLR/D.I. Lead - A Quick Question

Samfordia

I have been asked to supply a lead for recording in a rehearsal room whilst jamming.

[i][b]"[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]XLR to stereo jack microphone leads"[/size][/font][/b][/i]

I'm not too sure what it is that I need and that's all I've been told. Is XLR the same as D.I.? Is stereo jack the 6.35mm?

Which end is which?

If your amp's DI is on an XLR, then the lead will need a female plug at one end and a 1/4in stereo jack at the other, wired according to this convention - follow the numbers on the XLR, they will be moulded into the plastic next to the solder tags.

I managed to find a manual online.

[i][b]"A balanced d.I. Is provided on the front panel xlr socket. This provides a post E.Q. Post effects signal. The output signal from this xlr socket is set to a level and impedance suitable for connecting directly into a balanced microphone input of a mixing desk for either direct injection into the pa system or for recording."[/b][/i]

To be a littler clearer on my situation..

I have been in rehearsal rooms for the past year which were a pay per session where everything could be supplied. I have recently moved into my own rehearsal space so everything now needs to be supplied by the band.

The stereo jack won't be going into a desk but instead it'll be going into some kind of recording device. I can't really remember exactly what it is because the drummer deals with all of that. But all I know is that it needs a stereo jack for his end and a D.I at my end.