Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From stacked knobs to singles

ped

Hi all

I have a stacked bass/treble knob on my bass. I prefer to have two seperate knobs to be honest.

Anyone know if it's simple to switch? Obviously I don't mind drilling another hole. I can probably get some pics of the pre amp if it'll help.

Cheers
ped

Providing you have a suitable number of holes in the bass (body or scratchplate) this will be straightforward. The only issue could be 'strange' non-standard potentiometer (pot) values (as I found with an 80s Aria). What make is the pre-amp, a circuit schematic might be available which will make identifying suitable pots easy. If not, You may be able to read the resistance of each potentiometer printed on them, you may not. If not de-solder one of the outer wires on each of the stacked pots and measure the resistance between the outer two connections. Also measure the resistance between an outer connection and the middle with the pot rotated half way. This will identify a) the pot value and B) whether they are linear or logarithmic pots.