Why become a member? ×

Whistling and white noise

AlpherMako4

Heeeeeeeeeeeelp. I just bought a second hand amp from a very nice chap on here. I used it in rehearsal last night, after 4 or 5 songs it started making what I can best describe as white noise ish........ a lot of grumbling going on. Anybody got any idea??? I'm thinking pre amp tube because it seemed to be as it warmed up. As previously stated, I am originally a drummer so this is all new and I haven't a clue.
I love the amp (swr) so I really want to get it sorted out.

Cheers

Hmmm I would say it's haunted and possibly something from beyond trying to communicate.

Ok first thing to try would be plugging the bass into the return socket of the effects loop bypassing the pre amp, this will let you know if it's something in the pre or not.
Also check that any input sockets are clean you can look up how to do this online. I've had amps make funny noises because of this.

And then If you are confident opening up the amp and know what your doing then (WARNING YOU CAN GET ELECTROCUTED!)
Check any valves to see if they are seated correctly and that the valve socket and pins are clean. And general condition of the valves.
Check all connections within the amp.
View components in general for signs of damage (if experienced)
Again stating if you don't know what your doing then please don't you really really can be hurt or worse poking about in amps.

That's pretty much all you can do without needing an actual repair guy look further into it. Hopefully it will just be something simple for you.

[quote name='AlpherMako5' timestamp='1455261444' post='2977496']
Ok, I'm gonna take it in to somebody anyway, I was just hoping to get an idea first. Thank you
[/quote]

Me and band mates have used Dave a couple of times. Based in Doncaster (which I would imagine is close enough to you?) and he's got lots of experience and expertise!

http://www.rosewell-amps.co.uk

Edited by skej21