Why become a member? ×

Theatre intro

Zenitram

I act in amateur theatre, and offered to compose a piece of music for the intro of the next play that I'm in. I had a very very simple, quite pleasant but uneventful piano piece that I recorded, and spent the next three weeks or so knowing that it was no good on its own, no variation, nothing to latch on to, but could never seem to work out what to do with it. The other thing was that it needed to have an edge, as what comes immediately after the music, as the play starts, is not, shall we say, major key kind of stuff.

Saturday, I said, would be the day; I had nothing else to do. But I drank far too much on the Friday, and was rendered helpless the day after. I was so tired I managed nothing at all and went to bed early, but couldn't get any sleep, so, knowing I had to deliver on Sunday morning for the tech run, I got up stupidly early and started hitting piano notes in my fractured, sleepless state of mind, including a few jarring C notes which in my absurdly simplified understanding of music theory 'goes against' the D major key, to create a bit of edge. All in one take as well.

It got cut down to the length it is now, and the overly loud and somewhat pointless cymbal crescendo is a cue for an actor to get on stage, but... I'm rather pleased with it, and thought I'd share the story.

Sometimes you need to get out of your comfort zone (no sleep), or not do what's right, or take lots of drugs, or something. Or maybe it's just about the looming deadline.

No bass at all, but, er, that's probably a good thing. What is great, for me with no musical learning or ability at all, is hearing your own composition played to an audience.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/gingerosity/intro"]https://soundcloud.c...ngerosity/intro[/url]

Edited by Zenitram

That's nice !

I did some music back in December for a drama at uni, that was my first time doing something like that. It's really good to get and do new stuff. I think you've done a really great job.

It'd be nice to hear it in the context that it was written, if that's possible.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1454937079' post='2974325']
It'd be nice to hear it in the context that it was written, if that's possible.
[/quote]

Well, come to Bromley and see the show!

But if you can't: just as the music comes to an end, a man from 2039 surrounded by umbrellas screams out in anguish, and a fish falls from the sky at his feet.

Edited by Zenitram

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1454937375' post='2974335']
Well, come to Bromley and see the show!

But if you can't: just as the music comes to an end, a man from 2039 surrounded by umbrellas screams out in anguish, and a fish falls from the sky at his feet.
[/quote]

That sounds very Douglas Adams'ish. I think I'd like that :).