Why become a member? ×

Precision nerds/experts needed.

William James Easton

OK story is this. About 1998 i purchased a pre owned Fender Precision for a bargin price from my local guitar shop. On the headstock it said USA Custom Shop.
A couple of years later i stumbled upon a web site that had all fender serial numbers on, typed mine in and it came up with pleasing news it was a 1986 (maybe 84, 85) custom shop P bass. "OK very nice" i thought.

the years dragged on and it got gigged. Then one rather nasty night i lost my head and so did she (the bass) headstock and first 1/4 of the neck where seperated from the rest of it!!!!

My then lovely guitarist picked up the head stock, looked at me and muttered the following words: "i'm gonna keep this, you never know one day you may be famous". I laughed, he laughed, i sobbed, he scored.

Then i replaced the neck with some cheap chunky piece of trash and let it gather dust in the corner whilst i went on my musical 'wilderness' period.

Now i have lost contact with the guitarit and want to look into doing this bass up for a bit of a project. I was hoping to get the serial number off him (it was on the head stock IIRC) but that seem to be a hopeless quest.

I'm thinking that this wasnt a kosher bass as i thought due to the £285 price tag, and now what to source info on it to guide me in what to do next eith it.

so to sum up - Mid 80's p bass, apparently USA custom shop, J pick up at the back, Brass (maybe) scratch plate with a sand/cream paint job.

pics are somewhere let me look....
here on this thread
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15523&hl=rusty+shackleford"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...sty+shackleford[/url]

any advice = virtual pint!

[quote name='Rusty Shackleford' post='287367' date='Sep 19 2008, 03:11 PM']cheers for the info. cut n shutt job maybe! im gonna try another go at the serial number. hope i can track him down. now what do i do with this bass? tart it up or bin it?[/quote]

Tart it up, you know it makes sence :)