Why become a member? ×

Jazz on vinyl magazine series

dlloyd

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1454341342' post='2968721']

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that these are digitally remastered, so I can't see the point?
[/quote]

Digital mastering is generally done at 24 bits minimum, CD is only 16 bits. In other words the digital master has 256 times the dynamic range of the CD recording. Plenty of wiggle room for a good quality vinyl recording played on premium gear to improve on the CD quality. Really the 16 linear PCM used by CDs is an ancient and horridly inefficient format.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1456054074' post='2984811']
These 10 will get you a long way....

[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Kind of blue - Miles Davis[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. Now's the time - Charlie Parker[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]8. Waltz for debbie - Bill Evans[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]12. saxophone colossus - Sonny Rollins[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]15. getz-gilberto - Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]17. mingus ah um - Charles Mingus[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]22. Sketches Of Spain - Miles Davis[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]28. The Blues and - Oliver Nelson[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]50. Sonny Rollins - The Bridge[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]71. Miles Davis Milestone - Miles Davis[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I'd add the Dave Brubeck, Cannonball Adderley, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery and Herbie Hancock albums to that mix.

Miles Smiles would also be a good one.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1456054074' post='2984811']
These 10 will get you a long way....

[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Kind of blue - Miles Davis[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5. Now's the time - Charlie Parker[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]8. Waltz for debbie - Bill Evans[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]12. saxophone colossus - Sonny Rollins[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]15. getz-gilberto - Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]17. mingus ah um - Charles Mingus[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]22. Sketches Of Spain - Miles Davis[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]28. The Blues and - Oliver Nelson[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]50. Sonny Rollins - The Bridge[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]71. Miles Davis Milestone - Miles Davis[/font][/color]
[/quote] Brilliant! Thanks Bilbo

does this turntable look like Rega RP1 to anyone else too?

Also, the website says you can have it with 4th delivery for an extra £2 per issue, but I don't see any option to choose in the order form

edit

One more thing:

does anybody know if there is a possibility that these issues are not permitted to be played in public places, for example cafes etc?

Edited by such

[quote name='such' timestamp='1456355494' post='2988330']
does this turntable look like Rega RP1 to anyone else too?

Also, the website says you can have it with 4th delivery for an extra £2 per issue, but I don't see any option to choose in the order form[/quote]

Ah... I found that by being drunk when subscribing you find that option and tick it quite accidentally.
[quote]
does anybody know if there is a possibility that these issues are not permitted to be played in public places, for example cafes etc?
[/quote]

Not sure why they would be?

I am seriously impressed with the quality of the pressing of the first three lps. Kind of Blue is an album I've been listening to for the past twenty years and I'm blown away by this version. It sounds fuller than my CD copy... I don't know whether that's because I want it to be good because I'm an old fart longing for his teen years, but I'm enjoying it anyway...

Happy to hear that.

Question - might be answered on the website somewhere... What's the frequency of the deliveries? Monthly? Weekly? Fortnightly?

How do you get charged? Nothing happened to my account yet, and it never said explicitly when and/or how much I would be charged initially and what happens then.

Thanks

[quote name='such' timestamp='1456359558' post='2988357']
Happy to hear that.

Question - might be answered on the website somewhere... What's the frequency of the deliveries? Monthly? Weekly? Fortnightly?

How do you get charged? Nothing happened to my account yet, and it never said explicitly when and/or how much I would be charged initially and what happens then.

Thanks
[/quote]

Two issues delivered a month (both at the same time I think) and charged after delivery.