Why become a member? ×

YOB or near as damnit Bass

kodiakblair

Having just moved from a few years of almost free accommodation to fully legit premises I swore off any purchases. The future looks grim :(
Is heating,hot water and cooking facilities and the bills they entail a fair trade ?

Anyway yesterday I'm in Glasgow teetotally helping a friend celebrate his birthday,they're not drinking much as visits to Guitar Guitar,Merchant City and
Strung Out etc are planned.To be honest I never saw anything I fancied apart from a MIJ P-bass I've been informed has Foto Flame (cheers Twincam)
and a freebie Squier Katana neck (chances of finding the rest zero I think).I was also meeting up with a fella about a bass :o

As the bank sold off my house a couple of years back any YOB would be a modest affair. This fits the bill. 68? Wilson Sapphire. Neck's a bit too straight,it's
a refin I'm sure and it needs a new nut. Apart from that all in working order,S/N is 15736 so puts it from 68 or thereabouts.

[attachment=211145:Wilson Bass (1).jpg][attachment=211146:Wilson Bass (2).jpg]

Quite why somebody felt the need to do this is beyond me :D

[attachment=211147:Wilson Bass (3).jpg]

A [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Kay Tulip bass? That's more rubbish than a rubbish thing that's really rubbish. The [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wilson Sapphire is a great and very playable bass with a slim, fast neck, pickups might be a bit on the low output side though.[/font][/color]

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1454259198' post='2967931']
A [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Kay Tulip bass? That's more rubbish than a rubbish thing that's really rubbish. The [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wilson Sapphire is a great and very playable bass with a slim, fast neck, pickups might be a bit on the low output side though.[/font][/color]
[/quote]Absolutely 100% correct :) That damned quirk in my personality told me it was a good idea,the one I had was put on the bonfire but the neck still came back to haunt me :o
They were responsible for more folk giving up than starting up :lol: Should be forced upon anyone saying today's beginner basses are naff.

In 1972 my first and only P cost me an extra 10% for left handed. They wanted another 10% if I wanted a solid colour, I did but couldn't afford it so ended up with a sunburst and I hate sunburst! How could they justify that?

Actually, when I'd got the Fender I wondered if I'd made a serious mistake as the Sapphire seemed a bit better made and more playable.

20% is a bit steep and they could have hid plenty filler under the solid coat. Still it was 72 and there wasn't a great deal of competition.
10% must be the standard mark up for lefties,was the same on the Sapphire.

I'd been playing a shop brand Japanese P for about 5 year when I went for my 1st Fender,after trying 6 or 7 I realised they weren't doing anything more than I already had.
Not saying they can't be good basses just so can plenty other brands.

I heard from Alan Exley at project guitars about a decal,most photos show a blank headstock and he advised going with that. Only one photo shows a logo and it's not a great
photo to work from.