Why become a member? ×

NGD! Tonk Bros parlour guitar.

paul h

Here is my new Tonk Bros parlour guitar in Dirty Bourbon!

It's Indonesian made from Birch and hand finished in the UK. The company ethos is to make guitars that hark back to pre-war, blues/parlour guitars. It pretty much hits the nail on the head and really has that old bluesman vibe.

However with that whole ethos come a few issues. It's a little bit on the cheese grater side to play...there is no adjustable truss rod...the neck is just laminated...well, by that, I mean it's plywood and as thick as my arm! :D At least it doesn't look like its going to move anywhere soon! The strangest/most irking thing is that the fretboard after the join at the 12th fret dips away. Luckily I have no intentions of ever playing that high!

Electrics wise it's just a passive piezo with no controls with the jack socket in the strap pin.

I know I could have got a better playing instrument at less than half the price...but it wouldn't be as cool :D In fact my £80 Gear4Music guitar plays much better. I am going to put some lighter strings on it which should help no end. Is it worth the £320 I paid for it? As an instrument...no. But as a cool, retro guitar with a genuine pawn shop feel to it...maybe.

I had a quick go but I can't really* play slide. *At all :D

Lighter strings will make all the difference. The nut is a fraction high because despite all my best attempts my capo is pulling it slightly sharp. Again lighter strings will help.

The fact is I wanted something like an old "cowboy/blues" guitar and this is exactly that. I just didn't really think of the consequences of that! I am going to stick with it though...just like the old blues players would have :)

I've got a Shubb C1b which just about works. If I leave the tension quite loose to fit it, and then tighten the screw a little it seems to do the trick. It has popped off a couple of times but like anything, it will take a bit trial and error before I have it sorted.

Just fitted some Martin custom lights to it and they have made a world of difference, natch.

I still probably need to spend a few weeks lifting pints and crushing paper cups with my left hand to build up some strength but judicious use of a capo will limit the amount of barre chords I run into.

:)

@Beer you're totally correct...my nice Shubb capo keeps popping off! It's fine in most positions but we're doing a song that needs a capo at the 6th fret! It's a pain to put on and keeps popping off :(

I've just ordered one of those cheap elastic ones off the bay to see if that works.

Totally gutted I can't use the Shubb...it's an awesome looking brass contraption :D