Why become a member? ×

Missing my mojo

Bassulike66

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1452684252' post='2952308']
Playing bass is like sex within marriage. It gets harder to maintain enthusiasm as the years pass and other pressures fill your horizons. To flog a dead simile further:
1- Get a band on the side that consists of inappropriately young people who could benefit from your wisdom.
2- Experiment with different genres
3- Experiment with different numbers of people. So try the big band thing, try the one man band thing.
4- [Insert other not very subtle euphemisms here]

[/quote]

And sometimes you just have to lock yourself in the bedroom and bash away on your own.... :D

I find it's not always easy keeping the mojo going. I've just had a month break from gigging but about to begin a quite packed schedule. Although I haven't overtly missed playing I know that it'll come back when we get in the groove again. I find I need to remind myself of how good it is to play when the gigging downsides kick-in as it can get very tiring and a bit samey sometime. I remind myself that many people would be very jealous of being in a tight band that gigs so much. It's a privilege overall and I'm grateful for it.

There has been an increase in these kind of threads over the last couple of years on basschat. Its interesting to see all the different reasons for why some are In agreement with the o p, and those who are still enjoying playing.
Me? I'm just too confused , and misguided than I've been in my whole life . I still go to normal gigs ( not pub gigs as I don't drive and know nobody interested in pub gigs).

In my mid 30's , I stopped playing for about 5/6 years . Fed up with it all. Got back into it , thanks to one of my best friends ever, who got me to do my 40th birthday gig , playing to about 80 or so people in the west end . A few more birhday gigs with our band of friends, led me to expand the bass collection of 3 - 9 basses.
They all did different things . I've since gone down to 6. Got lots of effects too .

For me unfortunately , it may be things outside of music that are draining my energy,and making me not bother anymore.
Go back 6 years, my brother moved in with me . I thought maybe a year later he would go. He was trying to turn me into his butler,and 5 years later he went.
Thank f@@k! Then you have to hold down a day job, and after being made redundant from my best ever job, I was temping and trying to settle into a hortible place in the worst recession ever known . The recession is still here IMHO . Then you have to keep a roof over your head..
Then the band imploded, due to bitching and backbiting etc. Usual stuff.
Sorry if I'm repeating the fact I now have occular myasthenia gravis for almost two years. One of the symptoms is it makes you lethargic and you don't want to do anything.
My age makes me feel less confident about joining a pub gigging band again . Early fifties. Plus I don't want to play in front of one man and his deaf dog again.
What I used to find when gigging ; the people you expect to see you never turn up . A person you would never expect to see you , does show.

I'm thinking of another hobby instead of bass, but not sure what.
I sometimes think of either joining musicians to jam with n a rehearsal room just to record stuff for a giggle, or to get a teacher to teach me Logic Pro / able ton live so I can record proper stuff on sound cloud . Got loads of basses, loads of effects , not sure what I'll do.

Gaff- what area do you live in ? It sounds scary;)

Best of luck to you all in what you decided doing :)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE