Why become a member? ×

Buying a broken bass for repair - amateur repair with pics

Wonky2

Try altering your tuning, take everything down a semitone to Eb,Ab,Db,Gb and see how the bass responds, then repeat in semitone increments until you get to BEAD(which will be a similar amount of tension on the top to the other bass you looked at). Different basses respond differently to the amount of tension on the top. If you find a sweet spot like this, then it should give a rough idea of what will be a good match tension wise.

The difference in sound could be due to the fact that the sound post on your bass may be too tight/not in the optimal place. I can't give any advice on DIY sound post adjustments, but I will say that it makes a noticeable difference (It certainly did on my bass). Maybe you could trawl the internet if you want to go down that route? Either that or find a luthier?

Also you can lower your string tension by raising the saddle at the bottom of the bass; you could shim it or make a new block. I know one person that had their saddle raised to solve a problem he was having with his string tension, I don't know if it was a long term fix or if he did something else however. It'd be interesting to catch up with him and see what the outcome was.

Thats interesting kairyu..... Ill live with it a lttle while and see how things develop....

I think now that its set up in a playable fashion i may seek a luthier to get the best out of it beyond my ignorance.... Im sure there will be plenty further adjustment a decent luthier could find....

Speaking of set up.... I made further adjustment tonight.... I lowered the bridge radius just a bit further again, i have a fair bit to play with as the bridge is adjustable...
So, i dropped it down beyond the string notches which has allowed me to recut new notches which i have widened to 1 1/16th inch centre to cente..... Its much better, has a evn spread acoss the finger board now too.....

However, my g strings is now just the tiniest but lower than i would like, which means the bridge adjuster has to be wound out just a bit further than on the e side.... I dint really like this as id like the down ward pressure to be equal not have one wound out a little more than the other.... Im sure this cant be helpfull ? Im also mindfull nit to have them wound out too far either... I guess that too would affect tone ?

Thats it for bridge adjustments now..... Ill live with it for now....

Edited by Wonky2

So...... Here it is :)

I have approx 1 hour playing experince under my belt so please be kind :) hahaha.... Understandably my technique is likely appawling , but i may seek out a few lessons to get me going...

New strings ordered today, evah p weich....

Love it

AGGH LINK DONT WORK.....

Edited by Wonky2

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1454610485' post='2971347']...
AGGH LINK DONT WORK.....
[/quote]

No, it won't work. This is due to a 'feature' of the forum software, which 'frigs up' (technical term...) files uploaded. It's easy to fix, though; it is, in fact, a 'MOV' file, for Quicktime, so only needs downloading and the file extension changed to 'mov'.

Normally, it's best to send sound files to Soundcloud (it's free, up to a certain, quite high, limit...) and post a link to the Soundcloud page.

Nice, confident, playing for a beginner, well done.

Ive used sound cloud once before and up.oaded a track with success.... But ive spent the last hour trying to work out how to upload a track? The help section on soundcloud say i should see a link on my home page "upload" but its not there.... The option to upload is no where ???? :( buggger

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1454615581' post='2971420']
Ive used sound cloud once before and up.oaded a track with success.... But ive spent the last hour trying to work out how to upload a track? The help section on soundcloud say i should see a link on my home page "upload" but its not there.... The option to upload is no where ???? :( buggger
[/quote]

Immediately to the right of the 'Search' box at the top of the screen..? In between that and your Login ID..? Post a screenshot of your page, if not. What platform do you use, PC, Mac, Other..?

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1454617111' post='2971441']
Try this.....

[url="https://soundcloud.com/myzeneye/new-bass"]https://soundcloud.c...zeneye/new-bass[/url]
[/quote]

Excellent; well done..! Now then, on to Youtube so that we can all see the video..! :D

Edited by Dad3353