Why become a member? ×

Play of the Day, Basschat Composition Challenge, December...

Dad3353

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Play of the Day...[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Feel free to 'follow' this topic to be alerted (warned..? :unsure: ) when new posts arrive. I'll be using this same topic throughout for this month's Challenge.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Good day, all...[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Here is my own, personal, view of the compositions presented in the monthly BC Composition Challenge, in randomly chosen order. I hope that at least some of you may be inspired to give the pieces a listen, and perhaps vote for your 3 favourites. All of them can be heard here...[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275529-december-composition-challenge-voting"][color=#0000ff]December Composition Challenge Voting[/color][/url][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]... and this 'Play of the Day' here …[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][url="http://soundcloud.com/rikki-boyes/out-run-the-sun"][color=#0000ff]'Out Run The Sun', from Rikki1984 ...[/color][/url][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]A soft, rippling guitar strum belies the strong, assertive rock drum intro, and we're projected immediately into the first verse of vocals, pitched right down at the bottom of the singer's range. The drums are very present, imposing a lumpy [/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]rock drive; the bass seems a bit lost behind the mix, the guitars mingle the brushed strumming with harmonic arpeggios. They harden up for the first chorus, when the 'crunch' is triggered, the vocals thicken up and the drums accentuate the syncopation. A second verse allows us to home in a bit more on the bass, which is in fact quite busy, with some neat snapping and popping going on; a repeat chorus leads into an unusual 'wah-bass' solo spot before verse three. The following chorus is played out as a fluid guitar solo, and is followed by a radical shift in tempo and pulse as an insistent drumbeat and bass line announced a hot legato guitar solo, and a heavy bass-guitar riff which take us to the final chord.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]I found it awkward to fully appreciate the fine qualities displayed here with such a mix, as the drums are constantly very far forward, and the bass difficult to pick out clearly. The pitch chosen for singing the verses, especially, is far too low to be sustained, and make the lyrics very indistinct. A shame, as I'm sure that, despite their obviously 'dark' tone, they could be very interesting. The composition, as a whole, is excellent, and could well be appropriate as regards the picture, but I couldn't swear to that. The execution is also of a very high standard, with the aforementioned reserves for the main vocal. The bass comes into its own at the very end, doubling the regret over its timidity up until then. Overall, then, a thoroughly interesting piece, marred somewhat by a few technical issues (or, of course, my poor taste and ears..!). A promising start to the Challenge, in any case.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]My next post in this topic will feature...[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][url="http://soundcloud.com/gxmix/home-sunrise"][color=#0000ff]'Home (Sunrise)', from xgsjx ...[/color][/url][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Until then...[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Have a nice day[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Douglas[/color][/font][/size]

Thanks for taking the time to listen and make such a thoughtful critique. It very useful to hear someone else's thoughts - I was worried I mixed the bass too loud (shows what I know!).

I'm very new to this recording lark so it's a big learning curve so trying to get musical ideas to actually sound somewhat listenable. It's a lot of fun though. I've got a lot to learn! :-)

Merry Christmas.

Edited by Rikki1984

[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1450993845' post='2937778']
Thanks...
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

That's one of the (many..!) rewards for participating in this Challenge. We can (and do...) learn from each other, just about every month; we're all more or less on the same page (well, not poor old Lenny, but he's trying. Very trying... :rolleyes: ). Stick with it, listen to the other entries, and don't be afraid of asking questions, especially dumb ones. Lots of expertise here; make the most of it. Thanks for your entry, by the way... B)

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Good day, all...[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Here is my own, personal, view of the compositions presented in the monthly BC Composition Challenge, in randomly chosen order. I hope that at least some of you may be inspired to give the pieces a listen, and perhaps vote for your 3 favourites. All of them can be heard here...[/size][/font][/color]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275529-december-composition-challenge-voting"][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][size=4]December Composition Challenge Voting[/size][/font][/color][/url]

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]... and this 'Play of the Day' here …[/size][/font][/color]
[url="http://soundcloud.com/gxmix/home-sunrise"][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][size=4]'Home (Sunrise)', from xgsjx ...[/size][/font][/color][/url]

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]The piece opens with a soft synth 'pad', interspersed with echoing, jumbled vocal interjections [i]à la[/i] Led Zep. Calm and peace are prevalent, added to by a subdued bass riff, soon joined by a neat drum beat. The vocals return, still indecipherable, as if emitted by a lone creature from Space. Now the drumming takes on a different relief over the same bass line, accelerating to a hot trip-hop pace, until the layers of synths restore their harmonious warm blanket of tranquillity as firstly the backing drums, then the bass, desist, leaving the ethereal pads to fade away to resolution.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]More complex than immediate appearance, the overall tone of this brings a superb sense of balance and harmony. The execution is faultless, the 'form' of the composition very well thought out, the arrangement and mixing are also as close to perfection as one could wish for. It is very easy to relate the mellifluous cosmic tones to the picture, the one slight drawback being the tendency to nod off, palliated by the pleasant dreams evoked. An excellent work; deserves top marks, but for the overly 'floppy' thud of the bass drum.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]My next post in this topic will feature...[/size][/font][/color]
[url="http://soundcloud.com/skollob/dark-sky"][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][size=4]'Dark Sky', from Skol303 ...[/size][/font][/color][/url]

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Until then...[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Have a nice day[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Douglas[/size][/font][/color] Edited by Dad3353

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4] [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Here is my own, personal, view of the compositions presented in the monthly BC Composition Challenge, in randomly chosen order. I hope that at least some of you may be inspired to give the pieces a listen, and perhaps vote for your 3 favourites. All of them can be heard here...[/size][/font][/color]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275529-december-composition-challenge-voting"][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][size=4]December Composition Challenge Voting[/size][/font][/color][/url]

[color="#000000"][font="Arial"][size="4"]... and this 'Play of the Day' here …[/size][/font][/color]
[url="http://soundcloud.com/skollob/dark-sky"][color="#0000ff"][font="Arial"][size="4"]'Dark Sky', from Skol303 ...[/size][/font][/color][/url]

[color="#000000"][font="Arial"][size="4"]Straight in with the vocals, and an accompanying jangly upright piano, almost in unison with the purer singing. The rhythm is very syncopated; despite this, it flows with ease and authority. A second verse starts in similar fashion, only to be joined by a weft of static violins and a soft bass, giving a counterpoint to the vocals. The lyrics give way to a more slender rendering, the bass equally takes on a more sober role; the piano continues its jagged path, smoothed by the soothing strings behind, until the final notes and fade out.[/size][/font][/color]
[color="#000000"][font="Arial"][size="4"]A charming piece, all the more so for its sparsity and unusual timbres. An excellent singing voice, with more than a tinge of Björk (take that as a massive compliment, please, Laura..). The piano escapes from sounding too dissonant by aptly avoiding full chords, and comes across as legitimate and competent. The bass, too, fulfils its meagre role with aplomb. Altogether highly successful; a delightful addition to the many gems that this monthly Challenge has produced over the years. Execution, aptness, arrangement, production, all top notch... Once again, a full house is laid down in this hand. It could well win the trick.[/size][/font][/color]

[color="#000000"][font="Arial"][size="4"]My next post in this topic will feature...[/size][/font][/color]
[url="http://soundcloud.com/robslusarmusic/basschat-composition-challenge-december-a-force-awakens"][color="#0000ff"][font="Arial"][size="4"]'A Force Awakens', from RockfordStone ...[/size][/font][/color][/url]

[color="#000000"][font="Arial"][size="4"]Until then...[/size][/font][/color]
[color="#000000"][font="Arial"][size="4"]Have a nice day[/size][/font][/color]
[color="#000000"][font="Arial"][size="4"]Douglas[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Dad3353

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]... and this 'Play of the Day' here …[/size][/font][/color]
[url="http://soundcloud.com/robslusarmusic/basschat-composition-challenge-december-a-force-awakens"][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][size=4]'A Force Awakens', from RockfordStone ...[/size][/font][/color][/url]

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]A warbling synth arpeggio outlines the chords, fleshed out straight away by 1/8ths on the bass and a pulsing rock drum set. Things calm down somewhat, allowing the bass to have some melodic expression over web of synths and a rock-steady drum beat. A short lull before a renewal of the higher tempo, with a welter of tumultuous guitars vying for space. A return to relative calm before another onslaught, which, this time, gives way to an even calmer, half-tempo respite. Too good to last, we're back to the intense pulse, but this time with the addition of another guitar arpeggio, the whole takes us to the ending og a fading synth and a melancholic solitary 'beep'.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Solid execution of all instruments, and more than adequate production, despite the very lavish arrangement, make full use of the basic chord structure here. It could have been judicious to go for a 'middle eight' or other bridge, but we're not too wearied by the repetition of the sections. The link to the picture is more reflected in the title than the composition itself, but fits the piece, nevertheless. Solid..? Yes, indeed; a solid endeavour.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]My next post in this topic will feature...[/size][/font][/color]
[url="http://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/2-minutes-to-apocalypse-aka-drink-up-the-time-is-up-final-version"][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][size=4]'2 minutes to Apocalypse aka Drink up, the time is up final version', from Che ...[/size][/font][/color][/url]

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Douglas[/size][/font][/color]

[url="http://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/2-minutes-to-apocalypse-aka-drink-up-the-time-is-up-final-version"][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][size=4]'2 minutes to Apocalypse aka Drink up, the time is up final version', from Che ...[/size][/font][/color][/url]

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]One could be excused for taking it to be a metronome (which, in a way, it is, I suppose...), but it's a ticking clock, signalling relentlessly throughout the piece the passage of the (short...) time left. The heavily distorted guitar chords, the insistent guitar arpeggio, the equally menacing bass, simple but effective, provide a theatrical backdrop for the howling, much-delayed solo guitar to float over; the whole atmosphere is implacable tortured anguish until the very end, where all fall silent save the grim tick-tock.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Moderately short, but fully completing its brief, the air seems to want to remind us of the ephemeral nature of what is normally considered as being beyond time. Well played, with suitable choice of tones, both for the guitars and the bass, and the use of the clock's pulse gives a nice touch of originality. The solo guitar is well improvised over a simple, yet powerful undercurrent, quite in agreement with the image, albeit in a rather disquieting fashion. It's not always comfortable to be faced with one's own mortality (but is life itself meant to be solely comfort..?).[/size][/font][/color]

[url="http://soundcloud.com/user-145360766/solar-ascent"][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][size=4]'Solar Ascent', from Dapper Bandit ...[/size][/font][/color][/url]

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Douglas[/size][/font][/color]

Thank you Dad for taking time to write these reviews, good man! Yes indeed its a metronome played through floating delay in hope to get the ticking clock sound :gas:
Sorry if my tune made you contemplate such disturbing thoughts. But then again that could be a good thing, contemplating on ones impermanence. Nothing lasts forever hence life is beautiful (or is it) ....

I better go to bed now ... nighty night

Dad, I love these mini reviews that you do. They give each track something more than what I could think of.

I have a couple of favourites, but I listen to each with each review that you do. Then it's down to how the song is perceived. I don't go on finished quality, but from the view of what I think the producer was trying to perceive the image to sound like.

Thank you for the wonderful review. The pad sound is more complex than it initially sounds. It's made from 4 different instruments played monophonically to construct each chord & 2 of those have different automation depending on which note is played. I still think the vocal is way too loud & the vocoder automation could have been much better. It was designed for falling asleep to. :)

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1451086546' post='2938266']
Dad, I love these mini reviews that you do...
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

I'm on the same page regarding 'finish'; although a polished production is more than worthy, fitness to the spirit of the picture, as portrayed by the composer, is what tilts my windmill. Other factors, such as humour, or originality (or both, and more...) also creep into the balance.
You're being a tad harsh on yourself; the vocals are only a tad high, and this doesn't detract to any great extent, imo. Nice to have a peek behind the curtain of construction with your insight concerning the pads, though. I often think that a 'making of' could be a useful addition to the topic, maybe after the voting, so as to learn from others how it should (or should not..!) be done.
Off now for a wee while, to let the headset cool down some and refresh the old lugs; normal service will be resumed as soon as it's resumed ...

'Sgonna be bloomin' boring for some, though, to read through my ramblings for some of my regurgitations..! :blush: :lol: I usually put a few details in the Soundcloud itself, knowing that others outside of BC sometimes see 'em (Yes, yes; there is, I'm told, some form of life outside of BC..! :mellow: )

Edited by Dad3353