Why become a member? ×

Effects Out to DI Box

James Nada

In order to get my post pre amp'sound' to the mixing desk I'd like to connect the effects out to a DI box. This is instead if connecting a DI box between my bass and amp. Presumably the signal level from the effect out would be similar to that of the level from my tuner (the only 'effect' I run) which I currently have in line before the DI (which then runs into the amp).
Is there any reason this isn't a good idea?
My effects loop isn't the type that requires a return signal to retain an regular output volume.

Edited by James Nada

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1450741359' post='2935489']
Check the impedance and the signal level; some FX loops are line level (+4dB) whilst others are Mic level (-10dB). Have a look in the manual of your amp and see what the specs are.
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply.
The manual says its 'for outboard rack mount equipment' but doesn't give an actual figure. However, an internet search suggests it's +4db ('professional level, suitable for rack mount equipment').
Does that mean it's the correct level to plug into a DI box?

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1450742874' post='2935508']
Depends - some DI boxes expect a -10dB input, some can be switched to between this and a +4dB. Do you have a particular DI box in mind?
[/quote]
No DI box in mind. On the few gigs I've done with DI I've just used whatever the sound engineer gave me.
So, I guess that the type of DI box I'd be using would be suitable by virtue of its selection for this situation.

I've used one of these with excellent results, still have it in my gig bag as a plan B https://www.studiospares.com/Microphones/DI-Boxes/MTR-DI-3-Active-Mono-DI-Box_401301.htm

It's a clean sounding DI, very well made and it has an input attenuator in case your fx out is too hot. Price is very reasonable even at the normal price but Studiospares have an offer on at the moment.

I'm using a mooer micro di at the mo to get the keys sound from my board to the pa. small and perfectly formed! ;)
it sounds good and has all the features you would expect from a di. Also has a handy speaker emulation which works really well.
That can be found on eBay from around £45. It's also available with a fender logo for a little less ;)

Some DI boxes have a level buffer switch, so that if the input to the box is too hot, it can be attenuated. I suggest a model that has the input buffer. If the fx out has a level control, start at the lowest level and work with your sound man to find the combination of output level on the fx and the input buffer setting on the DI for the clearest signal, lowest noise, and best headroom.

Edited by iiipopes