Why become a member? ×

Weird Dutch oddity SOLD

dangerboy

I ended up with this bass as part of a pair from eBay. Short scale really isn't for me, so it's for sale.

It's an Egmond, and made in Holland. Weirdly. Other than that I know nothing about it, except that it looks like it's had an interesting life.

The body is ply and weighs almost nothing. The neck is incredibly skinny. The tuners have been replaced at some point in its life with Schaller copies (that stay in tune really well). The bridge is not fixed - its held by string tension, and you have to drag it into the right place to intonate the bass.

Right now it's strung in fifths, with 120-90-60-30 gauge stainless steels. Two single-coil pickups, each with an on-off switch. There's another switch which has lost its shaft and doesn't seem to do a lot. Volume and Tone controls.

£50 anyone? Or make me an offer? I can meet in London for pickup, or post to you if you pay postage.

Always interested in trades.

Edited by dangerboy

Some info on Egmond:

[quote]The Story of Egmond begins with the 'retired railwaystation chef' U. Egmond (1879-1959) who opened his music shop Musica in Eindhoven. In 1940 his sons Gerard (1904-1974), Dirk (1920-1992), and Jacob (1921-1993) begin working in his shop and they start building guitars. The first guitar takes them a whole week, but around 1960 they produce in their own factory in Best around a 100.000 guitars a year with 80 people, of which 20.000 guitars remain in the Netherlands.
The popularity of Egmond guitars is mostly because of their low prices. A lot of beginners started out with Egmond guitars. The majority of Egmond guitars are mass produced and are of a poor quality but also a few professional archtop models are made for the professional players, branded 'Wilson' and 'Miller'. The company exports to the UK mostly under the name of 'Rosetti'.
Other brandnames used by Egmond are 'Lion', 'Manhattan', and 'Orpheum'. Egmond produced guitars for a short duration in the 70's for the American 'Martin Guitar Company'. These guitars were mostly shipped to the USA under the name of 'Vega' and Alpha'.[/quote]

George Harrison used to play on an Egmond guitar (he hated it).

[url="http://www.egmondguitars.nl/indexe.html"]http://www.egmondguitars.nl/indexe.html[/url]

• 3 weeks later...