Why become a member? ×

what mic to mic up bass speakers?

MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1450361355' post='2932035']
as I said, DI not possible. No DI out and if I put the bass through a DI box it will be dry through the PA, as the amp modeling and fx's are generated by the head.
There is a digital out - for recording - but this cuts the sound to the speaker.
[/quote]

DI is possible - it's just not what you have been used to. A wet/dry mix is often preferable to a complete wet mix - especially if you are running things like distortion which have a habit of robbing the low end. Try it, you may like it.

MTR DI-3 might be what you're looking for. It can be placed in the FX loop if your amp has one and has a 3 way attenuation switch which will cater for the hotter output you'll get from an FX loop's line level source rather than the much lower instrument level DI'S normally handle. I used to use mine like that with excellent results, the only thing you won't then get is any coloration your speakers add but you will get all your FX and modeling assuming those are present at the FX loop output.

It's an excellent DI, very well made, has an uncoloured sound and on offer at Studiospares at an excellent price https://www.studiospares.com/Microphones/DI-Boxes/MTR-DI-3-Active-Mono-DI-Box_401301.htm

And if course you can also use it in the more traditional way as an additional source to the foh if your engineer wants to blend a mic signal with DI.

MTR have a good pedigree, they're run by Tony Reeves, a bassist who played with Coliseum, Greenslade and many jazz orientated groups. No affiliation, I could be wrong but I just thought I'd mention it as I don't think MTR are particularly well known https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Reeves

Edited by stevebasshead

I've always had my best luck with an EV RE-20.
I also like a Beyer M88, Sure SM-7, Senheisser 421 or, for a more agressive sound, a good, old-fasioned SM-57.

The 421 will bump the low mids nicely on caninets that tend to sound a little scooped, such as older SWR cabs.

[quote name='Lo-E' timestamp='1450406056' post='2932535']
I've always had my best luck with an EV RE-20. I also like a Beyer M88, Sure SM-7, Senheisser 421 or, for a more aggressive sound, a good, old-fashioned SM-57. The 421 will bump the low mids nicely on cabinets that tend to sound a little scooped, such as older SWR cabs.
[/quote]

Had some great results with the Senheisser 421. YMMV of course.