Why become a member? ×

NAD Markbass TTE 801

Opticaleye

Having ordered a new TKS 1126 I decided to upgrade from my existing and much loved Markbass TTE 500 to a new TTE 801 so that I can take advantage of the 500w into the single 8ohm cab.
If my research is correct the 1126 is less efficient than my existing Markbass cabs and although 300w would be perfectly adequate I'd rather run it at 500w.

The first thing I noticed was that it was quite a bit bigger (in height, width and depth) than my TTE 500 and barely fits on my NY604 (there is overhang). Luckily the 1126 is the same size as the head when in vertical mode so this won't be a problem. The Gator double kickdrum padded bag I've been using still fits although it's quite tight.

I've only compared the sound between the two heads at bedroom volume and they appear to be in the same "family" so I'm relieved that the move from analogue power section to digital and Italian to Indonesian construction won't matter. The yellow illuminated Markbass logo looks surprisingly cool too IMO.

It's going to be a while before the TKS cab arrives and with no gigs or rehearsals until the new year I won't be able to make any more judgements for a while :(.

I just thought I'd share as there is nothing out there about these heads.

It does look well constructed. It appears to share the same preamp board as the TTE 500 but the power amp circuitry is now in the same compartment hence the bigger (now fully enclosed) case.
I've yet to work out how to access the preamp tubes. There is a small grill on one side but I can only imagine being able to change the first tube through that. I'm sure that there must be a better way though.

• 5 weeks later...

Had my first rehearsal with this amp and my outgoing NY604 this week and I'm very impressed. It has serious power on tap and it appears to have a little more low end than the TTE500. A nice fat vintage sound with both roundwounds and flats.
Can't wait to try it with the TKS when it arrives. :)