Why become a member? ×

Which way to connect cabs and speakers?

phil_the_bassist

Morning!

I've got two cabs running again, and was wonderin how to get the most outta 'em.

My head's got two speaker outputs, and both cabs (one 2x15, one 4x10) have got a socket for an extension cab.

I would usually just run off the speaker outs on the head, but is there any advantage (like more oomph/better response/power handling etc) to runnin one cab off the Ext.Cab. socket of the other?

Cheers in advance!

BTW, the gig is a real ale festival in Newbury, Berkshire...come along if you wanna get pissed on high strength homebrew :)

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='282968' date='Sep 12 2008, 06:04 PM']is there any advantage (like more oomph/better response/power handling etc) to runnin one cab off the Ext.Cab. socket of the other?[/quote]
No. You lose current capacity that way. Run two cords from the head, though in truth the difference would be barely measureable and likely inaudable.

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='282968' date='Sep 12 2008, 06:04 PM']Morning!

I've got two cabs running again, and was wonderin how to get the most outta 'em.

My head's got two speaker outputs, and both cabs (one 2x15, one 4x10) have got a socket for an extension cab.

I would usually just run off the speaker outs on the head, but is there any advantage (like more oomph/better response/power handling etc) to runnin one cab off the Ext.Cab. socket of the other?

Cheers in advance!

BTW, the gig is a real ale festival in Newbury, Berkshire...come along if you wanna get pissed on high strength homebrew :)[/quote]

Can your head run both those cabs? I would guess both are 4 ohms so you'd be running at 2 ohms. SS head ususally don't like that.

- dunc

I suppose in theory the best way would be to run a cable from your amp to each cab, and then another between the 2 cabs. That way each cab is fed from both sides, which should minimise any bad effects from dodgy connections and differing power requirements due to frequency response. As Bill said though - unmeasureable and inaudible in all likelihood.

[quote name='bassplace' post='283017' date='Sep 13 2008, 01:07 AM']Can your head run both those cabs? I would guess both are 4 ohms so you'd be running at 2 ohms. SS head ususally don't like that.

- dunc[/quote]

Hey Dunc! Well, the head's got two speaker outputs at 8ohms, and the speakers are rated at 8ohms...I'm not sure of the wiring configuration inside the head, but it doesn't say anything against using two cabs.

[quote name='Alien' post='283018' date='Sep 13 2008, 01:10 AM']As Bill said though - unmeasureable and inaudible in all likelihood.[/quote]

That's fair enough! I was just wondering if there was a secret trick to gettin more trouser flap!

At least with the 4x10 back in action, the drummer can't complain about not hearing me!

Rather than the theoretical input that so many around here are better qualified than myself to offer I'm just thinking from a practicality point of view.

Lead 1 from output to cab 1
Lead 2 from output to cab 2
lead 1 fails mid song - result = manageable drop in volume

Lead 2 from cab 1 to cab 2
Lead 1 fails - result - total loss of volume then very possibly a bang and a smell of smoke.

No contest to my mind.

I'm assuming the amp delivers it's dogs into 4ohm and your 2 cabs are 8ohm each. Seems a fair assumption as you mention 2 amp outputs.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='283058' date='Sep 13 2008, 09:07 AM']Rather than the theoretical input that so many around here are better qualified than myself to offer I'm just thinking from a practicality point of view.

Lead 2 from output to cab 2
lead 1 fails mid song - result = manageable drop in volume

Lead 2 from cab 1 to cab 2
Lead 1 fails - result - total loss of volume then very possibly a bang and a smell of smoke.

No contest to my mind.

I'm assuming the amp delivers it's dogs into 4ohm and your 2 cabs are 8ohm each. Seems a fair assumption as you mention 2 amp outputs.[/quote]

Good point, well made!

Well, it SAYS they're both 8ohm outputs, but whether that changes if you put a cab on each output I have nooo idea! :)