Why become a member? ×

Ampeg

Jimelliottbassist

Assuming a good difference there Jim? Nice one, I know the science says that cones need to be matched to the cabs for optimum performance but sometimes you just get lucky when swapping cones out - as you have. I`ve also lucked out a couple of times, and coincidentally both times with Eminence speakers as well. Maybe they`re just not as fussy :)

Good move. The stock Ampeg driver are Eminence, but cheaper models. I replaced the one in my SVT 15 with an Oberton. I think the "drivers must be matched to the cab" rule is a little over-stated. As long as you get drivers that suit the cubic capacity (roughly) and type - sealed, reflex, etc - you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent move....many years ago I found myself in Texas and popped into several music/bass shops....when they discovered I was english and a bass player using Ampeg they asked what spks I had in there....at the time I was a little miffed by the question but I said the stock ones, and they all laughed - basically they said that the americans know that the 'custom' type of spks that are in there are 'just' functional and wipp em out and upgrade them straight away - results as you have found, are a big improvement .....and now your a happy bassist