Why become a member? ×

need clean pristine sound for practise/recording

zawinul

The phil Jones big head headphone amp is very clean and hifi (IMO) as is all of their stuff but be prepared to pay for it! The concept of a truly "clean" or "flat response" amplifier/speaker is practically speaking a fantasy. All amplifiers and their preamps react to different frequencies in different ways, as do speakers and speaker cabs. Take into account also your fingers, your pick ups, your strings, your cables, the wood used for your instrument... Add audio interfaces, USB connections, plugins, DAW software and the variables are I practically endless!! Just go with what you like and you can't go wrong 😁
AND uncoloured speakers like those for hifis, PA systems, monitors etc often sound pretty s#%t with bass.

IMO

Edited by bassist_lewis

For your needs I totally agree with the PA speaker route.
Get a decent quality powered PA speaker and maybe a preamp to shape the sound you require (as stated above, you may find you don't want an absolutely uncoloured sound)

I'm SURE you won't be disappointed.

(I too have a Phil Jones headphone amp and it's an ace bit of kit. Agreed, ...pricey but worthwhile)

Edited by GremlinAndy

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1448834228' post='2918551']
AND uncoloured speakers like those for hifis, PA systems, monitors etc often sound pretty s#%t with bass.
[/quote]

To be fair though thats the sound the OP claims to want in which case a budget powered PA cab is ideal.