Why become a member? ×

PF-115HE - horn broken?

pendingrequests

Absolute amateur question here!

Was playing with horn High Frequency Level switch on the back of my PF-115HE as it is the one thing I have always ignored.

But I started to not really hear any differences between the sound, apart from a massive hiss from the horn.

I stuck my ear close to the horn and all it seems to produce is hiss - my, again amateur knowledge, would think high frequencies would come from the horn?

Is my horn broken or is this the intended functionality?

If the horn hisses it's working. The source of the hiss isn't the tweeter, it's the amp. Speakers will only reproduce the signal that is sent to them.
[quote] is this the intended functionality? [/quote]The intended function is reproduction of frequencies above the range of the woofer. The typical implementation tends to be flawed, as what's required isn't a tweeter that starts at 4kHz, it's a midrange that starts at 2kHz, if not lower.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1447419015' post='2907519']
If the horn hisses it's working. The source of the hiss isn't the tweeter, it's the amp. Speakers will only reproduce the signal that is sent to them.
The intended function is reproduction of frequencies above the range of the woofer. The typical implementation tends to be flawed, as what's required isn't a tweeter that starts at 4kHz, it's a midrange that starts at 2kHz, if not lower.
[/quote]

Perfect thank you!